From:
Jorge Amodio <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jorge Amodio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Nov 2013 10:17:27 -0600
I agree that setting up offices everywhere does not equate to globalization and unless we focus and generate enough momentum together with other constituencies, I hardly believe that we will be able to steer the USG+DoC towards internationalization of the IANA function, which is actually where the knobs and levers of the root zone delegation takes place.

Right now ICANN is just a contractor for that function, there is some stuff we'll be able to do through policy on how things flow into IANA but I find that there is a very low probability to see that function under the umbrella of an international organization (which one? ITU?,) unless we are willing to balkanize the DNS/Internet or wait for n-years until IETF comes out with a novel technology for identifiers that does not require a unique central point of authority.

My .02

-Jorge