From:
"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2017 23:48:13 +0100
Hi,

if you ask for a second Board member for the NCPH the first option would be to give one to the CSG and one to the NCSG. Is this the plan? I would disagree.

You should not forget that in the early days of ICANN civil society/non-commercial interests were linked primarily to ALAC. In the orginal ICANN bylaws (1998) non-commercial/civil society had 9 voting seats in the Board. This was never implemented and reduced to five in 2000 (picked by regional elections). In 2002 this was trimmed down to one non-voting liaison (with the expecation that CS/NC individuals will be picked by the new NomCom where ALAC and NCUC had six voting seats). Roberto Gaetano and Susan Crawford were seen as CS/NC friendly Board members, picked by the NomCom. Nowadays NomCom is not really looking for candidates with deep roots in the CS/NC sector. During ATLAS 1 in Mexico City (2008) we adopted a recommendation to give ALAC two voting seats (like the SOs). The compromise was to change the non-voting ALAC liaison to a voting Board member. Up to now, ALAC has (only) one voting Board member (Sebastian 2009 - 2014, Rinalha 2014 - 2017, Now Leon 2017 - 2020). But the call for a second ALAC Board member is still on the table. I supported in a previous mail the joint EURALO/NCUC outreach in COP. Probably such an option - to have another CS/NC Board member - could be an issue.

Wolfgang