From:
Amr Elsadr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amr Elsadr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 2016 15:38:50 +0200
Hi again Ayden,

Thanks for picking up on this thread. Like I said, we’re on the clock in terms of getting feedback back to the Council, and you having picked up on this so quickly is really helpful. Here are some general thoughts I have on the scope of the second Registration Directory Services (RDS) Review. Please do let me know what you think of these. Your input will be helpful while considering this on Council, particularly since you are active on the next-generation RDS PDP. I, of course, encourage others to weigh in as well.

First, the elements identified in Article 4, Section 4.6 (e) (iii) of the bylaws are obviously mandatory review topics. That is not to say that the review cannot be broader. It just needs to include what the bylaws say has to be in there. My understanding — and I may be wrong, so folks who know better should correct me — these bylaws were adopted from the previous Affirmations of Commitments (AoC) following WS1 of the CCWG-ACCT. Some of them, as you pointed out, may not be sufficient for an effective review to take place. A lot of this stuff may just be outdated, since the AoC was adopted back in 2009, and the legal privacy/data protection landscape has evolved over the past decade. Still…, for better or for worse, they are the bylaws, and there are many in the community who believe that it is not advisable for ICANN to be perceived to be violating its newly adopted bylaws so soon after transitioning IANA’s stewardship from the US gov to the global multistakeholder community.

Second, I’m not as concerned as you are with a narrow scope for the second RDS Review so long as all the necessary issues needing to be addressed are indeed addressed. The key consideration here is to not duplicate any work that is being done. That is not the same as entirely abandoning the issues that need to be scoped-in. Also, how worthwhile is a review of the current RDS, when we have a mega PDP WG repurposing and redesigning it anyway? Academically, it certainly has value, but in light of all the ongoing work the community is engaged in right now, and constant concerns being raised on volunteer burnout, this is an important consideration. These were in fact among the key considerations when a limited scope review was first suggested (since, as per the bylaws, it needs to take place regardless of the massive RDS reform work already underway).

Third, it is likely that a significant number of the RT members will end up being folks already participating in the next-gen RDS PDP. If topic are identified that are not being addressed by either group, then certainly, those should be added to the scope of one or the other. It is also important that both groups (RT and PDP WG) remain well informed of progress on both fronts. It isn’t unforeseeable that collaboration and interdependencies come to exist between the two groups. For example, this sort of relationship already exists between the New gTLDs Subsequent Procedures PDP, the RPMs Review and the CCT Review. In fact the new gTLDs sub-pro and RPMs review PDP have a liaison between them because of the identified interdependencies between the two topics being deliberated upon. It would make sense to me to do something along those lines on all the ongoing RDS work too.

Anyway…, the bottom line for me is that no issues get left behind. It matters less to me where the work is done, but that it is done (but not done twice by two groups working across each other). At the end of the day, only the recommendations coming out of a GNSO PDP should find their way in to contracted parties agreements with ICANN anyway.

I hope this help, and thanks again Ayden.

Amr