From:
Niels ten Oever <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Niels ten Oever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Aug 2016 21:02:05 +0200
I have asked Ed to explain and discuss his position against the
inclusion of a commitment to human rights in ICANNs bylaws on this list,
both before his vote in Marakesh and after. He has not done so.

I have subsequently asked members of the PC and the EC to have a
discussion about this on this list. I thought this would not be a very
strange ask since our charter reads:

"Each NCSG GNSO Council Representative shall represent, within the GNSO
Council, ICANN and its activities, the goals and priorities of the NCSG
to the best of his/her ability and in accordance with the principle of
consensus building."

and:

"Council Representatives will, however, be expected to understand the
varied positions in the NCSG and to explain to the membership how their
votes are in support of noncommercial interests. NCSG GNSO Councilors
should work with the NCSG‑PC to develop NCSG policy positions. NCSG GNSO
Council Representatives are expected to keep the NCSG membership
informed of policy issues before the GNSO Council, to seek input from
the NCSG membership and to be responsive to member requests for
information on matters pending before the Council."

So I am a bit surprised as to why I am met with so much resistance.

I hope we can still have this discussion.

Best,

Niels