From:
avri doria <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2016 11:27:28 -0400
Hi,

I think it is not as of date as you think, but it is backwards.

At ITU Council just last year there were suggestions that the ITU needed
to discuss names and numbers because of the US control.  This was
stopped in its tracks largely because this transition was ongoing.

If the oversight transition is thwarted by the US because of Heritage
and its fellow travelers,  I expect action to start up again in ITU
council.  Some may laugh at the possibility as Bill says, but some are
still yearning. And I expect they are planning on the failure their
unwitting allies in the opposition to stewardship transition are trying
to hand them.

In a sense just the possibility of stewardship transition has stopped
such talk, but only also long as we follow-up ad deliver.

avri

On 12-Sep-16 10:24, William Drake wrote:

> Unresolved Concerns
> A. The Transition Won’t Stop an ITU Takeover
>
> That’s point number 1? Seriously? I cannot believe this ten years out
> of date nonsense is trotted out in the Heritage paper.  People at the
> ITU would find it extremely amusing.
>
> Very depressing moment,
>
> Bill
>
>> On Sep 12, 2016, at 16:07, Mueller, Milton L <[log in to unmask]
>> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>>

>> *From:* Paul Rosenzweig [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
>>
>> Don’t you believe the Board when it promises that the accountability
>> changes will happen no matter what the transition?
>>

>> MM: Mostly, Paul, I don’t believe you or other opponents of the
>> transition when they say they favor a transition but want it delayed.
>> As you know, I don’t believe a period of abeyance is a viable option.
>> If the transition is shot down during this administration and we have
>> to wait for a new one, everything we have agreed to do as part of the
>> transition is up in the air. It could all be completely changed by a
>> new NTIA head giving us new criteria, or a new Congress passing new
>> restrictions or requirements in order to appeal to deluded and
>> uninformed rightwing constituencies. Whatever happens would depend
>> entirely on U.S. domestic politics.
>>
>> I also know that many aspects of the revised bylaws simply cannot go
>> into effect until the NTIA contract is gone, so disrupting that
>> effectively sends us back to the drawing board.
>>
>> You know this as well as I do, Paul, please stop being disingenuous
>> about your support for the transition. As far as I can tell, you want
>> the US government to stay in control of the DNS. Full stop. If that’s
>> not true, I look forward to seeing Heritage as an organization or you
>> as an individual publicly challenge the dishonest and manipulative
>> statements issued by Senator Cruz and WSJ columnist L. Gordon
>> Crovitz. It seems you want to have it both ways, feign support for
>> the transition but align yourself with irrational politicians who are
>> seizing on this issue to fearmonger, whip up nationalistic fervor and
>> attack the Obama administration for purely partisan purposes. Time to
>> distance yourself from that nonsense, else completely lose
>> credibility in this group.
>>
>> Dr. Milton L Mueller
>> Professor, School of Public Policy <http://spp.gatech.edu/>
>> Georgia Institute of Technology
>> Internet Governance Project
>> http://internetgovernance.org/

> William J. Drake
> International Fellow & Lecturer
>   University of Zurich, Switzerland
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]> (direct), [log in to unmask]
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]> (lists),
>   www.williamdrake.org <http://www.williamdrake.org>

---