Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2016 02:05:00 -0500
Thanks Robin for the update. It's a call to action and believe the CSO
groups are up to the task.

Sincerely,
Olugbenga Adeleye (Casey)
National Coordinator/Director
Africa Centre for Citizens Orientation

Original email:
-----------------
From: Robin Gross [log in to unmask]
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 11:03:35 -0800
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Call for CS Nominations: CSTD WG on Enhanced Cooperation

The official call for nominations is open!

I hope many of you will consider applying for this opportunity to
represent civil society on the UN Commission on Science and Technology
for Development (CSTD) Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation (WGEC).
We need one representative from each UN geographic region on this
working group.  Deadline to apply is 15 March 2016 - details below.
Thanks!

Best,
Robin

Call for nominations for CSTD WG on Enhanced Cooperation

The Civil Society Coordination Groups  (CSCG) is seeking civil society
nominations from developed and developing countries as well as from
economies in transition, all geographic areas, and policy orientations
to serve as civil society representatives on the United Nations
Commission on Science and Technology for Development (CSTD) Working
Group on Enhanced Cooperation (WGEC), the announcement for which can be
found at  http://unctad.org/en/pages/newsdetails.aspx?
OriginalVersionID=1193 <http://unctad.org/en/pages/newsdetails.aspx?
OriginalVersionID=1193>. More information about the WG proposal can be
found at
http://unctad.org/meetings/en/Presentation/CSTD_2015_s11_Major_en.pdf
<http://unctad.org/meetings/en/Presentation/CSTD_2015_s11_Major_en.pdf>
. While the exact timeframe for the working group has not been
established, nominees are asked to consider  a service period of 2016-
2017 (and eventually the beginning of 2018).

Peter Major, the Chair of the CSTD, has appointed CSCG as the focal
point for appointments of Civil Society representatives on the WGEC,
and CSCG has correspondingly established a nominations committee
(Nomcom) for this selection task. We are seeking one CS representative
from each of the five geographical areas: Africa, Asia-Pacific, Eastern
Europe, GRULAC, and WEOG. The Chair has requested that we include, to
the extent  possible, selection of former members of the previous
working group in order to ensure the continuation of institutional
memory, and the point in the UNGA resolution to “take into
consideration the work that has been done on this matter so far.”
While remote participation will most probably be available, he also
notes that remote participation “may not be very efficient in case of
intensive debates and drafting”. In addition, he notes that “As for
funding, the Secretariat of the  CSTD will try and find means to
facilitate participation from developing countries”.

Nominations should be submitted to the CSCG’s nominations committee
via the email address nomcom06 [at] internetgov-cs [dot] org no later
than 15 March 2016, or via one of the member coalitions (IGC, Best
Bits, JNC, NCSG, APC) following their procedures. Independent civil
society experts (i.e. those who are not nominated by a civil society
organisation or network) are welcome to send self-nominations directly
to the CSCG nomcom by the same deadline.

Nominations should include a short bio of one paragraph, one paragraph
of motivation to be a civil society representative to the WGEC, one
paragraph describing substantive proposals or a vision on “how to
further implement enhanced cooperation as envisioned in the Tunis
Agenda”, and one paragraph describing experience or qualifications to
represent civil society on the WGEC. Name, gender,
regional/geographical, as well as any appropriate affiliation
information and contact information should be included as well.
Proficiency in English is necessary for communications within the WGEC.
It is understood that nominees must be able to attend (most) meetings
as established by the WGEC.

About CSCG and the current NomCom:

The Civil Society Coordination Group (CSCG) exists solely to ensure a
coordinated civil society response and conduit when it comes to making
civil society appointments to outside bodies. It comprises
representatives of the coalition members of the Best Bits, Association
for Progressive Communications, Internet Governance Caucus, Just Net
Coalition, and Non-Commercial Stakeholders Group of ICANN.

As per the CSCG's procedures (available at http://internetgov-
cs.org/procedures <http://internetgov-cs.org/procedures>), for any
selection task, the CSCG will determine selection criteria and announce
them as part of a call for candidates, which will then be circulated as
appropriate, in this case as broadly as possible across as many
different constituencies as possible.

Selection criteria for WGEC:
--substantive proposals or a vision on “how to further implement
enhanced cooperation as envisioned in the Tunis Agenda”;
--experience in or qualifications to represent civil society on the WG;
--English language proficiency;
 all to be evaluated using the information submitted with the
nomination. Final selection will consider gender and geographical
location, to ensure an appropriate balance.

All members of the CSCG nomination committee are required to consider
the interests of civil society as a whole, and not just those of their
own coalition, in determining appropriate representatives. The
nomination committee will take into account geographic and gender
balance in determining their final selections, while considering also
the need for the breadth of viewpoints/worldviews represented within
civil society to be represented.

Please feel free to contact us if you need further information or to
discuss how we can work together to ensure our mutual objective to
ensure the best possible civil society representation on this Working
Group. The co-chairs of CSCG, Ginger Paque and Ian Peter, are available
for inquiries.

The members of the CSCG nomcom for the CSTD WGEC are:

Deirdre Williams, representative of the Civil Society Internet
Governance
Caucus (IGC), and recent Co-Coordinator of the IGC

Chat Garcia Ramilo, representative of the Association for Progressive
Communications (APC), and Deputy Executive Director of APC

Ginger (Virginia) Paque, non-voting Co-Chair of CSCG, and with Diplo
Foundation, Internet Governance Programmes (contact: virginiap [at]
diplomacy [dot] edu)

Ian Peter, non-voting Co-Chair of CSCG, independent (contact: ian [dot]
peter [at] ianpeter [dot com)

Nadira Alaraj, representative of Best Bits

Norbert Bollow, representative of the Just Net Coalition (JNC), and
Co-Convenor of JNC

Robin Gross, representative of ICANN’s Non-Commercial Stakeholders
Group
(NCSG), and member of the NCSG Executive Committee

Information on the Previous WGEC

Previous representatives from civil society
Mr. Carlos A. Afonso, Executive Director, NUPEF Institute
Ms. Avri Doria, Independent Researcher
Ms. Grace Githaiga, Associate, Kenya ICT Action Network
Ms. Joy Liddicoat, Programme Leader for Human Rights on the Internet,
Association for Progressive Communications
Mr. Parminder Jeet Singh, Executive Director, IT for Change

Documents produced during or following previous WGEC meetings can be
found on the CSTD website. Of particular interest:
http://unctad.org/en/pages/MeetingDetails.aspx?meetingid=330
<http://unctad.org/en/pages/MeetingDetails.aspx?meetingid=330>
http://unctad.org/en/pages/MeetingDetails.aspx?meetingid=396
<http://unctad.org/en/pages/MeetingDetails.aspx?meetingid=396>
http://unctad.org/en/pages/MeetingDetails.aspx?meetingid=425
<http://unctad.org/en/pages/MeetingDetails.aspx?meetingid=425>
http://unctad.org/en/pages/MeetingDetails.aspx?meetingid=545
<http://unctad.org/en/pages/MeetingDetails.aspx?meetingid=545>
http://unctad.org/en/pages/MeetingDetails.aspx?meetingid=610
<http://unctad.org/en/pages/MeetingDetails.aspx?meetingid=610>

-

> On Feb 27, 2016, at 12:52 PM, Robin Gross <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Thanks for the interest, Matt!
>
> Nominations should be submitted to the CSCG’s nominations committee
via the email address nomcom06 [at] internetgov-cs [dot] org no later
than 15 March 2016.  I will post more detail here to this NCSG list in
a couple days about what specifically should be included in an
application for consideration, as CSCG is finalizing that notice at
this time.

<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

>> Hi Robin
>>
>> Thanks for this.  To whom should nominations be submitted?
Yourself?  And can one self-nominate?

.
>>> While the exact timeframe for the working group has not been
>>> established, nominees are asked to consider a service period of
>>> 2016-2017 (and eventually the beginning of 2018).
>>>
>>> Shortlists should be submitted to the CSCG’s nominations
committee
>>> (nomcom) via the email address nomcom06 [at] internetgov-cs [dot]
org
>>> no later than 15 March 2016. Independent Civil Society experts
(i.e.
>>> those who are not nominated by a civil society network or other
>>> community) are welcome to send self-nominations directly to the
CSCG
>>> nomcom by the same deadline.
>>>
>>> Nominations should include a short bio of one paragraph, one
>>> paragraph of motivation to be a civil society representative to the
>>> WG, one paragraph describing substantive proposals or a vision on
>>> "how to further implement enhanced cooperation as envisioned in the
>>> Tunis Agenda", and one paragraph describing experience or
>>> qualifications to represent civil society on the WG. Name, gender,
>>> regional/geographical, as well as any appropriate affiliation
>>> information and contact information should be included as well.
>>>
>>> Proficiency in English is necessary for communications within the
>>> Working Group.
>>>

>>> About CSCG and the current nomcom:
>>>
>>> The Civil Society Coordination Group (CSCG) has been established to
>>> ensure a coordinated civil society response and conduit when it
comes
>>> to making civil society appointments to outside bodies. It
comprises
>>> representatives of the coalition members of the Best Bits,
>>> Association for Progressive Communications (APC), Internet
Governance
>>> Caucus (IGC), Just Net Coalition (JNC), and the Non-Commercial
>>> Stakeholders Group of ICANN.
>>>
>>> As per the CSCG's procedures [2], for any selection task, the CSCG
>>> will determine selection criteria and announce them as part of a
call
>>> for candidates, which is then circulated as broadly as possible
>>> across many different constituencies. All members of the CSCG
>>> nomination committee are required to consider the interests of
civil
>>> society as a whole, and not just their own coalition, in
determining
>>> appropriate representatives. The nomination committee will take
into
>>> account geographic and gender balance in determining their final
>>> selections, while considering also the need for the breadth of
>>> viewpoints/worldviews represented within civil society to be
>>> represented.
>>> [2]​ http://internetgov-cs.org/procedures <http://internetgov-
cs.org/procedures>

>>> Peter Major, the Chair of the CSCG, has appointed CSCG as the
"focal
>>> point" for appointments of Civil Society representatives on this
>>> Working Group, and CSCG has correspondingly established a nomcom
for
>>> this selection task.
>>>
>>> Please feel free to contact us if you need further information or
>>> discuss how we can work together to ensure our mutual objective to
>>> ensure the best possible civil society representation on this
>>> Working Group. Members of the civil society networks which are
>>> directly represented on the nomcom are requested to address such
>>> communications to the representative of the corresponding network,
>>> while the co-chairs of CSCG, Ginger Paque and Ian Peter, are
>>> available for inquiries from others.
>>>
>>> The members of the CSCG nomcom for the CSTD WG on Enhanced
>>> Cooperation are:
>>>
>>> Deirdre Williams, representative of the Civil Society Internet
>>> Governance Caucus (IGC), and recent Co-Coordinator of the IGC
>>>
>>> Chat Garcia Ramilo, representative of the Association for
>>> Progressive Communications (APC), and Deputy Executive Director of
APC

>>> Ginger (Virginia) Paque, non-voting Co-Chair of CSCG, and with
Diplo
>>> Foundation, Internet Governance Programmes
>>> (contact: virginiap at diplomacy dot edu)
>>>
>>> Ian Peter, non-voting Co-Chair of CSCG, independent
>>> (contact: ian dot peter at ianpeter dot com)
>>>
>>> Nadira Alaraj, representative of Best Bits
>>>
>>> Norbert Bollow, representative of the Just Net Coalition (JNC), and
>>> Co-Convenor of JNC
>>>
>>> Robin Gross, representative of the Non-Commercial Stakeholders
Group
>>> (NCSG), and member of the NCSG Executive Committee
>>
>> --
>>
>> Matthew Shears | Director, Global Internet Policy & Human Rights
Project

register at cdt.org/annual-dinner <http://cdt.org/annual-dinner>.

>> This email has been sent from a virus-free computer protected by
Avast.

http://link.mail2web.com/mail2web