From:
Harold Feld <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Harold Feld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2006 16:38:20 -0500
Danny:

I think it is important to appreciate the strategic value of the
proposal.  There is an old saying that "you can't beat something with
nothing."

The brilliance of the proposal is that it has given our side and our
sympathizers a concrete and real proposal to push back against the
parties opposing our interests.  This is critical as it allows us to
shift to a more proactive approach.  As the counter proposal gains
momentum, it becomes a basis for discussion and requires those
pushing their own proposals to offer concessions and modifications in response.

You raise some legitimate concerns with regard to substance,
particularly the concern that registrars will have freedom to sell
the information.  These can, and should, be worked out more
fully.  But I do not think your criticism that this is
"confrontational" is valid.  Strategically, the situation has clearly
become one where there is a core group utterly unwilling to
compromise and willing to use every possible mechanism to recapture
the advantage.  If we desire a positive policy outcome, we must
employ effective strategies to prevent this core group from achieving
*their* strategies.  As always, the battle of persuasion is fought
for the middle ground audience.

I applaud Avri, Wendy and Robin for their initiative and strategic
acumen.  To the extent improvements to the proposal are suggested,
they should likewise seek to forward the Constituency's overall
strategic goals.

Harold