From:
Shahzad Ahmad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shahzad Ahmad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 2015 14:14:15 +0500

Dear Robin,

Thanks for sharing this brilliant piece. Wonderful work by Laura
DeNardis. We have shared it widely within our networks.

Many more thanks and best wishes

Shahzad
Bytes for All, Pakistan

<http://www.ipjustice.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/IPJustice_Journal_DeNardis_Internet_Architecture.pdf>

<http://www.ipjustice.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Internet-Architecture1.jpg>*Internet
>       Freedom in the Age of Internet Control*
>
> The Internet is no longer just a communication system. It is also a
control
> system in which more objects than people are connected to the network.
Society
> is moving from a world in which content is digitally mediated to one
in which
> all of life is digitally mediated. Beneath content, the Internet’s
physical and
> logical infrastructure is the technical scaffolding holding up basic
systems of
> finance, commerce, transportation, industrial control systems, and
surveillance
> technologies, as well as social interactions and access to knowledge.
Already
> measured in billions, there will soon be 50 billion objects online
ranging from
> wireless heart monitors, home alarm systems, weather sensors,
surveillance
> monitors, cars, energy system sensors, and drones.[1]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_edn1>
In
> cyberspace, the Internet of Things is rapidly morphing into the
Internet of
> Self, aggregating not only cyber physical systems but everything from
> communications to commercial transactions to biometric identifiers.
What are the
> prospects for Internet freedom in this context?
>
>     Internet freedom is no longer merely about content. Fundamental
human rights
>     depend upon an underlying system of technological infrastructure that
>     creates the conditions for innovation and civil liberties online.
>
> These conditions are not preordained but have to be deliberatively
designed into
> technical architecture, which in turn creates the conditions for
economic and
> expressive liberty online. Since the Internet’s inception, its
development has
> embodied aspirational principles that have influenced how the network
is both
> designed and administered.
>
> The Internet Society, the not-for-profit organizational home of the
Internet
> Engineering Task Force (IETF), has described these technical
characteristics as
> “Internet invariants,” the enduring principles that have shaped how
the Internet
> is designed and administered.^^[2]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_edn2>
These
> technical norms include /global reach/, the potentiality of any end
device to
> reach any other regardless of location, and /interoperability /among
devices
> made by different manufacturers. They also include /permissionless
> innovation/ in which anyone can introduce a new Internet application
without a
> gatekeeper’s consent as well as a network marked by/accessibility/ and
/general
> purpose/ support of any application or service. The Internet Society’s
> invariants related to governance include /collaboration among
stakeholders,
> mutual agreement/, and the principle of /no permanent favorites/ so
essential
> for ongoing Internet innovation. As Internet engineer Leslie Daigle has
> summarized, “A network that does not have these characteristics is a
lesser
> thing than the Internet as it has been experienced to date.”^^[3]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_edn3>
While

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_edn4>

>   All of these functions have policy implications ranging from privacy to
> property to speech rights.
>
>     Beyond the intrinsic public interest implications embedded in keeping
>     systems of Internet infrastructure operational, another feature of
Internet
>     governance involves the phenomenon of governments attempting to
use the very
>     infrastructure of the Internet for geopolitical objectives having
nothing to
>     do with Internet operations.
>
> This phenomenon can be loosely termed the “turn to infrastructure” in
Internet
> governance.[5]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_edn5>
Policymakers
> view systems of Internet infrastructure and governance as part of
their arsenal
> for achieving various political and economic objectives.
>
> This paper extends this concept of examining the phenomenon of
/governance by
> Internet infrastructure/, such as using authoritative DNS registries,
as they
> exist, to enforce intellectual property rights, to the phenomenon of
/governance
> by tampering with Internet infrastructure/, in other words, imposing
statutory,
> technical, or other requirements to modify the actual design of Internet
> technical architecture for purposes completely extraneous to keeping the
> Internet operational. Discrete examples of this phenomenon include:
government
> interest in weakening encryption technologies to achieve national
security and
> law enforcement goals; nation-specific data localization laws; and
attempts to
> politically impose modifications to the Domain Name System (DNS) for
content
> control. Many of these policies conflict with how technologies work in
practice
> and also create challenges for civil liberties online.
>
>     The rising geopolitical attention to the Internet and inextricable
linkages
>     between human rights and infrastructure provide a moment of
opportunity to
>     assess potential implications of politically driven infrastructure
>     modifications for the future of Internet stability and freedom.
>

>       *Geopolitical Back Doors in Encryption Protocols Can Weaken
Internet Security
>       *
>
> New digital technologies, and new patterns of technology usage, always
> complicate the question of how to balance individual privacy and law
> enforcement. Consider the following statement: “Cell phones… are now
such a
> pervasive and insistent part of daily life that the proverbial visitor
from Mars
> might conclude they were an important feature of human anatomy.”[6]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_edn6>
The
> statement was not uttered on a late night comedy show but penned by
United
> States Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts in a Supreme Court
ruling about
> cell phone privacy. In /Riley v. California/, the Court took up the
question of
> whether police are constitutionally permitted to search cell phones
without a
> warrant. The Supreme Court ruled that warrantless searches of cell phones
> constituted a Fourth Amendment violation and were impermissible. Cell
phones
> were deemed inherently different, privacy-wise, from other items a
person might
> carry because of their enormous storage capacity, their ability to
hold personal
> photographs, medical records, locational information, and other data
stored over
> long periods of time, and because different types of information
contained on a
> cell phone, in combination, reveal much more than a particular record.
Does a
> right to encryption follow?
>
> In an almost Orwellian turn, searching a phone raises more privacy
issues than
> searching a house, as “a phone not only contains in digital form many
sensitive
> records previously found in the home; it also contains a broad array
of private
> information never found in any form…”[7]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_edn7>
The
> same technologies and networks that have provided unprecedented
opportunities
> for freedom of expression and content aggregation, along with advances in
> storage and processing power, have also provided unprecedented
opportunities for
> government surveillance. American government contractor Edward
Snowden’s 2013
> disclosures about the expansiveness of National Security Agency (NSA)
> surveillance practices provoked a number of reactions from
governments, the
> technical community, and other stakeholders. In December of 2013, the
United

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_edn8>

> The Internet’s technical community has called for “hardening the
Internet” with
> greater end-to-end encryption.[9]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_edn9>
The
> consensus position of the IETF is that pervasive surveillance, whether of
> content or protocol metadata, is “a technical attack” that should be
addressed
> by protocol design choices that would, at a minimum, make indiscriminate
> surveillance more expensive or less feasible.[10]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_edn10>
By
> 2014, the Internet Architecture Board released a statement suggesting
that
> encryption throughout the protocol stack be a norm and a default
approach in
> order to restore trust in the Internet.[11]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_edn11>
Google

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_edn12>

> One government response to these trends has been a call for building
backdoors
> into encryption protocols and implementations so that agencies can
readily
> access information. In an era of rising Islamic terrorism and associated
> employment of Internet technologies for recruitment and strategic
communication,
> national security and law enforcement agencies, of course, turn
attention to
> online intelligence practices and oppose efforts of technology
companies to make
> these practices more difficult. For example, United States FBI
Director James
> Comey has criticized corporate efforts to implement end-to-end
encryption,
> arguing that encryption could prohibit law enforcement efforts to
access vital
> information and calling for a reconsideration of encryption.[13]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_edn13>
In

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_edn14>

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_edn15>

> The Global Commission on Internet Governance, an independent group
chaired by
> Sweden’s former Prime Minister Carl Bildt, has issued a consensus
recommendation
> that:
>
> “Governments should not create or require third parties to create
‘back doors’
> to access data that would have the effect of weakening the security of
the
> Internet. Efforts by the Internet technical community to incorporate
> privacy-enhancing solutions in the standards and protocols of the
Internet,

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_edn16>

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_edn17>

> **The early 21^st  century has thus far been marked by numerous
high-profile
> cybersecurity breaches, some geopolitically motivated, such as the
Sony Pictures
> attack and presumably the massive data breach at the US Office of
Personnel
> management (OPM). In the US alone, contemporary data breaches at large
companies
> such as Target, Home Depot, and Premera Blue Cross have affected
almost 200
> million citizens. The concept of deliberatively designing additional
security
> vulnerabilities into the Internet’s infrastructure is incongruous.
>

>       *Data Localization Laws Can Promote Fragmentation Rather than
Universality*

> Internet infrastructure design does not map neatly onto national
borders. Seeing
> a simple traceroute of packets moving from point A to point B helps
illustrate
> how transmission paths depend on efficient routing rather than
circumscribed
> borders. Physical infrastructure – fiber optic cable, antennas, switching
> centers, and server farms – resides within fixed geographic locations.
But the
> distributed storage and processing systems and the flow of packets
over this
> architecture do not comport with national boundaries. Even an exchange of
> information between two network operators within a single country can
> potentially route through an Internet Exchange Point (IXP) in another
region.
> Companies can locate customer support centers in any location around
the world.
> A retail company with a .COM address can reside anywhere in the world.
Large
> multinational companies such as financial services firms use network
systems
> spanning the globe rather than neatly circumscribed within a nation’s
border.
> Large content companies (e.g. Google) and Content Delivery Networks (e.g.
> Akamai) globally distribute content to bring it closer to users via
replication
> (mirroring) and caching. Companies optimize information distribution
across
> servers based on traffic patterns and variables such as bandwidth,
processing
> power, and storage capacity.
>
> A significant shift in policymaking has been the introduction of laws
regulating
> where private companies store data and how infrastructure is physically
> configured. Much of the policy interest in imposing borders around
Internet

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_edn18>
> Russian law requiring companies to store data of Russian citizens
within the
> nation’s border takes effect in late 2015.
>
> There are engineering, innovation, and civil liberties complications
embedded
> within these policy-driven alterations to Internet infrastructure.
“Holding”
> data in a fixed location is incompatible with engineering principles like
> reducing latency, load balancing, and basic traffic engineering. It is
also
> incommensurable with business models predicated upon global customer
bases and
> workforces. As civil society advocates have expressed, it moves the
Internet

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_edn19>Large

> content intermediaries like Google have also expressed concern. In
testimony
> before the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Privacy, Technology and
the Law,
> Google’s Director for Law Enforcement and Information Security,
Richard Salgado,

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_edn20>

>  From an innovation perspective, consider the prohibitive cost burden
to new
> entrepreneurs having to locate servers in any country in which they
wished to
> operate. New entrants would not be able to compete in global markets.
Only

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_edn21>

>      From a civil liberties standpoint, the ensuing concentration of
data in
>     data localization scenarios could actually facilitate new forms of
efficient
>     surveillance,[22]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_edn22>
either
>     by the home nation or through foreign surveillance. Before data
localization
>     laws become a global norm, there is an opportunity for governments to
>     rethink the potential political, economic, and technical
collateral damage
>     of these policies.
>

>       *DNS Modifications Can Affect Internet Stability*
>
> The Domain Name System is another layer of the Internet’s
infrastructure which
> has attracted policymaker attention. The DNS translates human-friendly
domain
> names, such as IPJustice.org <http://www.ipjustice.org/>, into
corresponding
> binary numbers called Internet Protocol (IP) addresses. As such, it
can be
> referred to as the Internet’s phone book. This is a critical technical
function
> involving the resolution of hundreds of bPQ5
> <http://www.ipjustice.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/PQ5.png>illions
of queries
> a day via servers located in every corner of the world. It is also a
function
> that carries public interest implications, shaped by DNS technical design
> features. The hierarchical DNS provides points of control for redirecting
> queries away from certain websites, whether for censorship or
intellectual
> property rights enforcement. The names and numbers the DNS administers
are
> designed to be globally unique identifiers, both necessitating some
degree of
> centralized coordination and also creating the conditions for IP
addresses to be
> used as unique personal identifiers, in combination with other
information.

> Because the DNS inherently contains content (domain names) it is
therefore a
> speech space embroiled with controversies such as free expression and
> intellectual property rights considerations. Trademark disputes are
difficult
> enough, involving ICANN’s Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) and
ICANN’s

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_edn23>There

> are many other complicated questions. What new top-level domains
(TLDs) may be
> introduced in a universal Internet supporting divergent cultural norms
across
> regions (e.g. .GAY, .SUCKS, .WINE)? What happens when territorial
interests
> clash with private trademark holders, as when countries with the Amazon
> rainforest within their borders objected to the proposal from Amazon,
Inc. to

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_edn24>

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_edn25>
> contemporary policy concern involves the question of enhancing privacy
in DNS
> queries versus keeping this information unencrypted for law
enforcement or other
> purposes. How this lookup information is retained and shared
potentially exposes
> information about websites queried, which may contain private or
sensitive
> information such as visiting websites addressing medical, substance
abuse, or
> mental health issues.
>
> As these examples convey, the DNS in its day-to-day operation already
implicates
> complicated rights issues. A separate circumstance involves government
efforts
> to modify or block DNS records and architecture to achieve objectives
unrelated
> to keeping the Internet operational or dealing with public policy
questions
> arising in normal DNS operation.[26]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_edn26>
The
> most routine example is the practice of using the DNS to block access to
> websites infringing intellectual property rights, such as those
offering pirated
> movies or selling counterfeit luxury goods or pharmaceutical
products.^^[27]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_edn27>
Domain
> name seizures have been regularly carried out by the US Department of
Homeland
> Security’s Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) group. These
redirections
> can occur by requesting that the authoritative Internet registry
responsible for
> a top-level domain (e.g. .org, .com) remove the data mapping the
infringing
> domain name or redirect it to another server, such as one containing a
law
> enforcement message.       When the registry operating the appropriate
TLD is in
> a different jurisdiction, an alternative with greater potential
repercussions
> for technical stability and universality involves local DNS
redirection. When it
> is not possible to request a query redirection in the universal record
> maintained by an authoritative registry, presumably because the
registry is
> extra-jurisdictional, it is possible to approach a local, albeit
> non-authoritative DNS operator to disregard the universal name and number
> mapping for the infringing site and instead modify it in local
records. This
> technique changes the DNS from one that is universally consistent to
one that
> has inconsistent records that vary by region. This same local redirection
> technique is used by governments to censor certain websites, such as
blocking
> access to Twitter in countries with repressive information policies. One
> technical vulnerability caused by altering the universality of DNS
records is
> the possibility, as has occurred, of locally modified records being
broadcast
> more globally and creating security complexities related to the use of
DNSSEC

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_edn28>

> Once it becomes the norm for the DNS to be altered for content
blocking and
> manipulation, it will be difficult to veer the DNS back toward universal
> consistency. Consideration of the technical implications to Internet
stability,
> security, and universality, as well as the human rights implications of
> over-blocking and censorship, is critical before the DNS becomes the
default
> gatekeeper for almost any type of blocking or security attack.
>

>       *The Future of Internet Governance Should Consider Implications
for Technology
>       *
>
> One of the most pressing 21^st  century developments in Internet
governance is
> the increasing entanglement between often well-meaning government
policies and
> Internet infrastructure alterations. Much attention to Internet
governance
> focuses on the /global/ /institutions/ of Internet governance (e.g.
ICANN),

<http://www.ipjustice.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/FullSizeRender.jpg>*About

> the Author*: Dr. Laura DeNardis is a globally recognized scholar of
Internet
> governance and technical infrastructure and a tenured Professor in the
School of
> Communication at American University in Washington, DC
> <http://www.american.edu/soc/faculty/denardis.cfm>. Her books include
/The
> Global War for Internet Governance/ (Yale University Press 2014);
/Opening
> Standards: The Global Politics of Interoperability/ (MIT Press 2011);
/Protocol
> Politics: The Globalization of Internet Governance/ (MIT Press 2009); and
> /Information Technology in Theory/ (Thompson 2007 with Pelin Aksoy).
With a
> background in information engineering and a doctorate in Science and
Technology
> Studies (STS), her research studies the social and political
implications of
> Internet technical architecture and governance. She is an affiliated
fellow of
> the Yale Law School Information Society Project and served as its
Executive
> Director from 2008-2011. Her expertise and scholarship have been
featured in
> /Science Magazine/, /The Economist/, /National Public Radio/, /New
York Times/,
> /ABC news/, /Bloomberg/, /Time Magazine/, /Christian Science Monitor/,
/Slate/,
> /Reuters/, /Forbes/, /The Atlantic/, the /Globe and Mail/, /Investor’s
Business
> Daily/, and the /Wall Street Journal/ and she is a frequent speaker at
the
> world’s most prestigious universities and events. She is a Senior
Fellow of the
> Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI) and currently
holds an
> international appointment as the Research Director for the /Global
Commission on
> Internet Governance/. Domestically, she is an appointed member of the
U.S.
> Department of State’s Advisory Committee on International
Communications and
> Information Policy (ACICIP). Dr. DeNardis holds an AB in Engineering
Science
> from Dartmouth College, an MEng from Cornell University, a PhD in
Science and
> Technology Studies from Virginia Tech, and was awarded a postdoctoral
fellowship
> from Yale Law School. Laura DeNardis was elected to membership in the
/Cosmos
> Club /in 2015. She resides in Washington, DC.

> [1]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_ednref1>
Cisco
> White Paper, Dave Evans, “The Internet of Things: How the Next
Evolution of the
> Internet is Changing Everything,” April 2011. Accessed at
> http://www.cisco.com/web/about/ac79/docs/innov/IoT_IBSG_0411FINAL.pdf.
>
> ^^[2]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_ednref2>
Internet
> Society, “Internet Invariants: What Really Matters,” February 3, 2012.
Accessed
> athttp://www.internetsociety.org/internet-invariants-what-really-matters.
>
> ^^[3]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_ednref3>
Leslie
> Daigle, “On the Nature of the Internet,” /Global Commission on Internet
> Governance Paper Series/ No. 7, March 2015. Accessed at
> https://www.cigionline.org/sites/default/files/gcig_paper_no7.pdf.
>
> ^^[4]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_ednref4>
Laura
> DeNardis, /The Global War for Internet Governance/, Yale University
Press, 2014.

> [5]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_ednref5>
For
> an account of this turn to infrastructure for Internet governance, see
Laura
> DeNardis, “Hidden Levers of Internet Control: An Infrastructure-Based
Theory of
> Internet Governance,” /Journal of Information, Communication and
Society/,
> Volume 15, Issue 3, February 2012.
>
> [6]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_ednref6>
From

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_ednref7>

> /Riley v. California/, 134 S. Ct. 2473 (2014), pp. 20-21.
>
> [8]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_ednref8>
Report
> of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights on the right
to privacy
> in the digital age A/HRC/27/37, p. 2, June 30, 2014. Accessed at
> http://www.ohchr.org/EN/Issues/DigitalAge/Pages/DigitalAgeIndex.aspx.
>
> [9]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_ednref9>
Hardening
> the Internet” was the title of the Technical Plenary of the IETF 88
meeting of
> the Internet Engineering Task Force in Vancouver, Canada, in November
2013.

> [10]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_ednref10>
Stephen
> Farrell and Hannes Tschofenig, /Pervasive Monitoring Is an Attack/,
IETF RFC

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7258.txt>.

> [11]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_ednref11>
“IAB
> Statement on Internet Confidentiality,” November 14, 2014. Accessed at
> https://www.iab.org/2014/11/14/iab-statement-on-internet-confidentiality.
>
> [12]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_ednref12>
Official
> Google blog posting by Nicolas Lidzborski, Gmail Security Engineering
Lead,
> “Staying at the forefront of email security and reliability:
HTTPS-only and
> 99.978 percent availability,” March 20, 2014.
>
> [13]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_ednref13>
Spencer
> Ackerman, “FBI chief wants ‘backdoor access’ to encrypted
communications to

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jul/08/fbi-chief-backdoor-access-encryption-isis

> [14]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_ednref14>
Theo

athttp://www.forbes.com/sites/theopriestley/2015/07/13/all-instant-messaging-could-be-killed-in-the-uk-within-weeks.

> [15]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_ednref15>
Tim

http://techcrunch.com/2015/06/02/apples-tim-cook-delivers-blistering-speech-on-encryption-privacy.

> [16]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_ednref16>
Statement
> by the Global Commission on Internet Governance, “Toward a Social
Compact for

https://www.ourinternet.org/publication/toward-a-social-compact-for-digital-privacy-and-security.

> [17]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_ednref17>
Hal
> Abelson et al., “Keys under doormats: Mandating insecurity by requiring
> government access to all data and communications,” Computer Science and
> Artificial Intelligence Laboratory Technical Report, /MIT/, 2015.
Accessed

athttp://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/97690/MIT-CSAIL-TR-2015-026.pdf?sequence=8.

> ^*^[18] *

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_ednref18>
Anupam
> Chander and Uyen Le, “Data Nationalism,” /Emory Law Journal/, Vol. 64,
No. 3, 2015.

> [19]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_ednref19>
Emma
> Llanso, Center for Democracy and Technology, CNN op/ed “How
Politicians are
> Trying to Break the Internet,” September 5, 2014. Accessed at
> http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/05/business/opinion-internet-post-snowden/.
>
> [20]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_ednref20>
Written

http://services.google.com/fh/files/blogs/google_testimony_transparency_nov132013.pdf.

> ^^[21]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_ednref21>
James
> Kaplan and Kayvaun Rowshankish, “Addressing the Impact of Data Location
> Regulation in Financial Services,” /Global Commission on Internet
Governance
> Paper Series/ No. 14, May 2015.
>
> [22]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_ednref22>
Ania
> Nussbaum, “Russia’s data law will hurt its economy,” /Wall Street
Journal/, June

athttp://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/06/18/russias-data-law-will-hurt-its-economy-think-tank

<http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/06/18/russias-data-law-will-hurt-its-economy-think-tank/>.

> [23]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_ednref23>
See,
> for example, David G. Post, “Internet Infrastructure and IP
Censorship,” /IP

athttp://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-infrastructure-and-ip-censorship-by-david-post.

> [24]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_ednref24>
For

https://ourinternet-files.s3.amazonaws.com/publications/gcig_paper_no9.pdf.

> [25]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_ednref25>
Stephane
> Bortzmeyer, IETF Draft, “DNS Privacy Considerations,” January 7, 2015.
Accessed

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_ednref26>
> detailed delineation of various approaches to co-opting the DNS is
addressed in
> Samantha Bradshaw and Laura DeNardis, “The Politicization of the
Internet’s
> Domain Name System: Implications for Internet Security, Stability,
Universality,
> and Freedom,” Refereed paper presented at the 56th Annual
International Studies
> Association Annual Conference, New Orleans, 2015
>
> ^^[27]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_ednref27>
For
> information about the practice and technical implications of domain name
> seizures, see Security and Stability Advisory Committee (SSAC), “Advisory
> Impacts of Content Blocking via the Domain Name System,” 2012, available
> athttps://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/sac-056-en.pdf.
>
> [28]

<http://www.ipjustice.org/digital-rights/internet-architecture-redesign-as-proxy-for-state-power-by-laura-denardis/#_ednref28>
Jonathan
> Zittrain and Benjamin Edelman, “Internet Filtering in China,” /IEEE
Internet

http://unpan1.un.org/intradoc/groups/public/documents/apcity/unpan011043.pdf.