From:
Nicolas Adam <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nicolas Adam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2014 14:46:49 -0400
On 15/08/2014 10:01 AM, Avri Doria wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have a few bullets that pull me to mostly different conclusions.
>
> - deferring to me in such matters is never the right thing to do.  In
> social circumstances it is a lovely thing, but on a list, never.
>
> - i tend to think of Staff as stakeholders too, though of a very
> different sort.  When the multistakeholder definition says 'everyone',
> forme, it has to mean them too.

I disagree strongly. As individuals or anything else they can chime in
in the relevant SG. But just like a public office clerk also is a
citizen, she does not vote as public office clerk. We may not be able to
prevent her from informally participating in democratic policy-making as
clerk, but we should definitely resist giving clerks representational
powers.

> Certainly their role as staff constrains their behaviors.  But sitting
> at the table to discuss accountability, especially when one of the big
> issues is staff whistleblowing and the safety with which they can do so,
> it seems to me they should have a seat.

That is a different issue, one in which staff's needs need to be
listened to, but the existence of this issue does not transform staff
into stakeholders.

> - this is broader than the inside ICANN community.  The accountability
> is accountability to the global multuistakeholder community by ICANN on
> issues of critical Internet resources.
> I see these experts as being asked to give that viewpoint.
> Now I fear so-called experts, they can be good or oh so
> awful.  I think removing the choice of the experts  from the Board/Staff
> political decision makers and giving it to the group of the 'wise' - the
> Public Experts Group (PEG)*, is real and can be made meaningful.  I
> think we should save our voice for our reaction to the choosing of the
> Public Experts Group.  Any expert picked for the PEG or coordination
> group should be ready for the approval or approbation of the larger
> Internet governance community - both inside and outside of ICANN - a
> place that can seem very cruel at times.
>
> - the coordination group does not make decisions, it builds "solution
> requirements for issues with input from the Cross Community Group"  This
> is still ICANN where any solution they propose is subjected to full
> public comment and Board approval. It is good to see they made this
> explicit.  This is more like an advisory organization, seeming somewhat
> a hybird between an advisory committee and a supporting organization -
> time will tell.  It is a lot like the AOC in some aspects, except that
> it is NOT the Board Chair, CEO and GAC chair deciding who is on the
> entire team.  And it has a feeder mechanism for continuous community
> input.  I think they did well on building a basic organizational
> structure for this effort.

Thanks for clarifying this. I see the merits of what has been brought
forward, though I'm still trying to wrap my head around whether I like
it or not. Would it be really difficult to have the SGs select the wise
folks? This seems, to me, to be the relevant question here.

Nicolas