From:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 2009 10:04:13 +0200
On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 11:48:31AM +0900, Rafik Dammak ([log in to unmask])
> Hello,

> I see also the same "keyboard
> polemic" as people cannot type those idn (why do you want to access to
> website with idn which it means that content is probably in language that
> you don't speak?).

I don't know about you, but I do that quite often, even
sites in languages like Japanese which I don't know at all,
especially photo sites where pictures are the main thing,
and also for product information: there's often enough
brand names and the like to give an idea if it's worth
trying a machine translator on it.

Another obvious (and probably more common) case is when you
travel and temporarily want to use a foreign-language keyboard
to access a website in your language.

I'm not saying this is a heavy argument against IDNs,
usually you get by following links or doing cut'n'paste,
but it is a real issue. (A standard and intuitive way of
entering all Unicode characters on all keyboard would be
something... but it's probably impossible.)

--
Tapani Tarvainen