From:
Marc Perkel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marc Perkel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jun 2013 09:33:45 -0700
Hi Klaus,

I'm glad you brought this topic up because it's something I've been
thinking about a lot lately. Let us assume that all the stakeholders
want what they believes is "best" for IG, what is the definition of "best"?

For example, there are those of us in the "liberty" crowd who fell
strongly about the importance of liberty. There are others who are in it
to make money, who would point out (correctly) that profit, jobs, the
free market, incentives to innovate are essential. Someone has to pay
for the hardware. So when we argue these different values, who is to say
that my liberty is more important than your money? Where does the
concept of right and wrong come from i a universal context? We all want
to make the "right choice" - but how do we know it when we make it? By
what standard of universal values can we apply to even define the
concept of "right choice"?

Fortunately - I've been working on this and in the last 6 months I think
I've solved this problem. :)

The way I see it - it's all about the future of humanity. I see the
future of humanity as a choice between 2 paths. We are either evolving
in a positive direction, or we are on the path to extinction. I can make
a long argument here that existence is better than extinction but it
sort of seems intuitively obvious and I'm going to just ask for
consensus on this. Positive evolution is good - extinction is bad. Agreed?

I see humanity as evolving very fast right now through our technology
and humanity is totally dependent on the Internet. I think we would all
agree that if someone turned the Internet off today that there would be
total chaos, no internet, no phones, no power grid, no food
distribution, water, sewer, everything down. Millions of people would
die. This would be bad.

So - if the NSA for example creates a single point of failure for the
Internet (Since the NSA has hacked the world, whoever hacks the NSA
hacks the world.) that is bad. So the NSA can't do what they are doing
because it puts the future of humanity at risk. If the NSA creates the
infrastructure for an Orwellian government (N. Korea as example) then
Orwellian governments
inhibit innovation and that's bad for business and bad for the
commercial constituency. I'm sure Google, Microsoft, and Apple are not
happy about being required by law to lie to their customers.

I think that the Internet is the most important event in human evolution
since writing was invented and that the future of humanity is dependent
on the internet governance decisions we make today. If we make the right
choices we evolve into something wonderful. If we make the wrong choices
then we evolve into something terrible or we go extinct.

So - I offer this idea.

Let us recognize that the Internet has a universal purpose to all humans
on the planet in that it is the infrastructure to humanity's collective
mind and it is the nervous system for human civilization. Then from that
perspective of what the Internet is and how it relates to humanity's
future, we have a way of determining what "better" is because we have
established a contextual framework for determining right choices from
wrong choices.

Thoughts?