From:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Sep 2015 15:04:17 +0300
Dear all,

I have a rule I have long ago found good in situations like this:
always look for the most benevolent explanation for people's actions
and assume, or at least act as if you assumed even if you don't quite
believe it, the best consistent motivations behind their actions.

Even or indeed especially when someone seems to do something
deliberately to hurt you, look for alternative explanations,
other possible reasons, and if you still feel the need to
challenge them, do it politely, pointing out how their
actions could be misinterpreted, instead of jumping the gun
and directly accusing them of the worst possibility.

In the present case I don't know enough to judge what really
should have been done and where, I haven't had the time to
read all relevant discussions, so I'll only offer a few
general observations:

All objective criteria for selecting people for anything
are unavoidably somewhat arbitrary and will occasionally
lead to even blatantly bad results.
But even so they are useful, in particular when there's a degree
of mistrust in the air: it is easier to agree on such criteria
and less damaging to argue about them than directly about
people and their qualities.
And as Bill pointed out, the time to challenge criteria
is when the criteria are being discussed, not after they've
been applied with results you don't like.

Perhaps the criteria were more flexible than Ed apparently
thought - perhaps it would have been possible to get James
or Carlos chosen despite their attendance record. I don't know.

But perhaps Ed was right and trying to push for our own to the end
would in fact had resulted in an even worse outcome?
And even if you think that extremely unlikely, you should give
him the benefit of doubt and at most argue it was an error of
judgement.

Or if some of you think we should on general principles always push
for our own members even when it's unlikely to succeed and
may result in worse results at least in short term, fine:
that is a valid position and might even be a good rule in
the long term. But as far as I know we don't now have such a rule,
so we can't appeal to it now.

James, in particular: don't take this as directed against you.
It was a combination of miscommunication and bad timing and
perhaps hasty decisions, not a judgement on your abilities.
Nobody has argued that it wouldn't have been good to send you there,
only that it wasn't possible in this particular situation so
it was better to cut our losses so to speak.
Please don't be discouraged and keep up your good work.

One lesson to draw from this is one Bill already said:
it would be better to discuss such decisions more in advance.
But always that isn't possible, life tends to interfere
and time runs short, so let's try not to blame each other:
it rarely brings anything good.

And now, let's try to concentrate on our common goals and do what
we can with whatever means we have, remotely or otherwise.

Tapani
(still on the road using borrowed equipment and losing
network connectivity in a moment, so no more now.)