From:
avri doria <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 2016 08:15:19 -0400
Hi,

I make no secret of my opposition to directed voting.  The NCSG is too
diverse for such procedures and that is one of the reasons why the
Charter makes binding votes exceptional.  Of course the Charter could be
changed, but I would argue against such a change.

On the other hand I am a strong supporter of coordination, and the open
Policy meetings we hold before every council meeting are supposed to be
a major component of hat coordination process.  When these meetings were
first organized, they were policy meetings with each Council member
expected to attend except for the rarest occasions.  It was supposed to
be one of their priorities.  Yet, I have seen so many of these meeting
where many if not most of the Council members are absent with something
better to do.

I very much support the idea of Council members producing Council
reports.  And believe that Council members should always be willing to
explain why they voted the way they did.

At this point I must say I am very disappointed that we only have as
many candidates for council as we have seats on council.  One thing we
really need, in order to make the accountability processes work, is
choice in our elections.  True we can vote "none of the above" but that
is only going to happen in the most extreme cases, and would leave us
with empty seats, which is not a good outcome.  I really wish that those
who had been nominated and had agreed to run, would not have been
convinced (hard to say whether by persons or circumstances) to withdraw
their nominations.  We need not only good candidates, but a choice of
good candidates.

Note: I think I have a meeting conflict on the 'meet the candidates'
meeting, so will probably not be able to attend.

avri

On 17-Aug-16 04:47, Stephanie Perrin wrote:

> I think this is an excellent idea.  Personally, I think wHie should at
> least coordinate council votes, if not direct them.  I always tell
> folks how I am going to vote, but frankly a better process is
> necessary, especially with the important matters coming before us on
> human rights, accountability, and privacy.  Time to debate a better
> process.  Councillors have to be accountable to the folks they represent.
>
> As for a one pager on each council meeting....hardly that onerous,
> with 6 councilors taking turns that is two reports each a year.  I am
> not looking for more work, but this does not seem impossible.
>
> Stephanie Perrin

---