From:
Timothe Litt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Timothe Litt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 2015 06:34:33 -0400
Well, I guess if this works, we can use it as a funding source.  If you
can't beat them, join them.
E.g. Fund NCSG attendance at all meetings for all members...get some of
those high-priced lobbyists
and K-street offices...

I'm sure there are lots of opportunities to take advantage of the trend
even if we missed the ground floor:
  .exhales
  .bad-service
  .isnt-so-nice
  .ugly
  .ripoff
  .unresponsive
  .ceo-private-line
  .dump
  .overpriced
  .dull
  .unsafe
  .classaction
  .treats-employees-badly
  .slavewages
  .sue-em
More creative folks can certainly add to the list.  Plus, .sucks and all
the others can be translated into all 160 languages - or even the top 10.

Oh, and then we can purchase ncsg.{all-the-unpleasant-names} as a
defensive move.

On a more serious note: this is certainly headline-grabbing.  But it's
not practical.  People who have complaints and grievances, or just like
to make noise will always find a place to complain.  What the TLD is
really doesn't matter.  A quick search will find a forum.  Or just
create a new one.  There were many of these before TLD expansion, and
nothing will stop it.  A few companies will fall for the scam, or more
properly think its 'cheap insurance'.  The operators will make a quick
buck.  And when it proves ineffective, everyone will move on to the next
scheme.

A more likely approach by the victims is that specific sites will be
targeted for trademark mis-use, defamation, inciting various illegal
acts -- and the lawyers will be enriched fighting over the limits of
free expression.

One or two companies might even put their resources into
self-improvement instead.  Though I suspect that those companies would
make those investments without being blackmailed.

Sigh.

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer
if any, on the matters discussed.