From:
"Subrenat, Jean-Jacques" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Subrenat, Jean-Jacques
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 2015 10:07:42 -0700
Thank you Sam for the valuable analysis, and word of caution: indeed, it will take more than just tweaking bylaws.

One of Sam's remarks, based on the Canadian practice in NGOs, deserves special attention: "... are now (both) required, by law, to have only Canadian citizens as members of the board, all elected by membership, and both now face much more detailed and onerous internal governance and reporting requirements."

In the hypothesis that ACs and SOs would seek some power over some or all Board decisions, the question would certainly arise about the contradiction between the current practice of not-tightly regulated membership within those ACs and SOs (mode of designation or election, lack of due process and background check, citizenship) and the constraints of California (and/or US) law. To be applicable, a law or regulation requires symmetry between rights and requirements, and the current situation is anything but symmetrical in that respect.

Best regards,
Jean-Jacques.