From:
Viktor Szabados <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Viktor Szabados <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Oct 2015 10:43:55 +0200
Hello Everybody,

let me give also some input from my side, as consultant of the No Hate
Speech Movement of the Council of Europe. We have a quite good summary
of all the issues around human rights and Internet, in particular
linked to hate speech. We run besides the campaign conferences,
workshops and this guide is also for different exercises around this
topic. We can offer you inputs and knowledge based on the expertise
and experience of our campaign run since 2012.

An other good network of experts is around the Internet Rights and
Principles Coalition where I am also member of the board, see our
Charter also below. The Coalition gained also official observer status
at the Council of Europe’s Steering Committee on Media Information and
Society (CDMSI).

NHSM
Council of Europe - No Hate Speech Movement http://www.nohatespeechmovement.org
Bookmarks p. 144-145 see attached, full edition link below
http://nohate.ext.coe.int/Campaign-Tools-and-Materials/Bookmarks
http://nohate.ext.coe.int/content/download/38987/300906/file/Bookmarks_EN_online.pdf

Human rights and the Internet
The Internet is mostly “owned” and controlled by private companies.
This makes the protection of human rights more complicated, because
human rights are really ‘rules for governments’, not private
companies. If a shopping mall or private nightclub wants to forbid
people from wearing jeans, protesting, or distributing information
about another company, all of which are forms of ‘expression’, you
cannot plead freedom of
expression and take them to the European Court of Human Rights! In the
same way, private companies can mostly set the rules that people must
abide by when using parts of the Internet owned by them. If people do
not like the rules, they can complain, but the ultimate sanction is
simply not to use the service. However, this does not mean that those
parts of the world which are owned by private companies, including
the Internet, are not regulated by human rights laws! Human rights
impose (at least) two different types of obligation on governments:
1. They set limits on what governments are actively allowed to do, for
example, they are not allowed to ban all political dissent, engage in
torture, or deprive someone of their liberty without proper reason.
2. They oblige governments to take positive action to ensure that
rights are properly protected. This may mean passing laws which
prohibit discrimination, making sure that violent acts are prosecuted
(and punished), or ensuring that victims receive proper protection.

IRPC
Internet Rights and Principles Coalition -
http://internetrightsandprinciples.org/
the charter of human rights and principles for the internet
http://internetrightsandprinciples.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/IRPC_Booklet-English_4thedition.pdf

What do we mean by Human Rights & Principles?
Human rights are international human rights as defined by
international law. We have translated these directly to the internet
with provisions such as freedom from blocking and filtering. These can
be identified by the use of language such as “everyone has a right
to...” and “everyone has a freedom to...”. By “Principles” we are
talking about those internet policy principles or implementation
principles that describe features of the system which are required to
support human rights, these can be identified by the use of language
such as “shall” and “must”.

Happy to give more insight or connection if needed, just drop me a line.

thanks,your
vik

On 01/10/2015, Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> As we struggle to determine where and how human rights fit into what
> ICANN is and what it does, it might be useful to read the recent report
> to the UN General Assembly by the UN Special Rapporteur on extreme
> poverty and human rights, Philip Alston, submitted in accordance with
> Human Rights Council resolution 26/.
>
> It is short, 23 pages long, and has been used by others to describe the
> World Bank, in negative terms, as a "Human-Rights Free Zone". I would
> hate to see that label applied to ICANN.
>
> http://www.un.org/en/ga/search/view_doc.asp?symbol=A/70/274
>
> Sam L.
>
> --

Re: Human Rights@ICANN 54   Inbox
Stephanie Perrin<[log in to unmask]>	1 October 2015 at 17:32
To: [log in to unmask]

Gac public safety committee, on Monday at 330 to 430 I believe
Stephanie