From:
Dan Krimm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Krimm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2014 11:51:13 -0700
Evan,

Let's provisionally accept your/ALAC's stance on RC to see where it leads.

One of the most important things we're doing here at ICANN and NCSG is
dealing with governance: what are the procedures that we use to govern the
structure of policy-making at ICANN.

Any time there is an ad hoc decision, it causes a problem for a
generalized governance structure.  So, how does the de-linking precedent
formally (or even informally) constrain future decisions of a similar ad
hoc nature at the Board level?  Is "not at all" an accurate description?

You're focusing on outcome here, not process.  There is substantial
breadth of opinion on the outcome, as it is.  But process seems to have
been trashed along the way (at least from the PoV of someone, myself, who
was not involved).  It feels like the rule of law has given way to the
rule of elite humans.

If it is true that "this is an instance -- maybe one of the very few --
where protection can provide real public benefit" then what exactly are
your specific *general* criteria for making this judgment?  How do/can we
apply those criteria to other cases as they arise?  Can we get ICANN as an
institution to agree to those criteria formally?  How do we ensure that it
remains "one of the very few" and not a precedent for much wider ad hoc
decision-making?

This feels uncomfortably like opening the Pandora's Box of ad hoc
procedure, and that's really what this is all about at the end of the day.
 NCSG has generally been on the side of pushing back against ad hoc
policy-making.  If there are special cases, then we need to establish
formal criteria and procedures for handling them so that they don't spread
like wildfire to undeserving cases.

Dan

PS: I won't be able to participate in the London meeting any more than
other recent meetings.  Have a very productive time, everyone!

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and
do not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.