From:
Hamza Ben Mehrez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 17 Jul 2015 23:12:09 +0200
Dear NCUC Friends and Colleagues:

Let me first thank you for the warm reception and true feeling dedicated
to the members of the NCUC constituency. We feel very welcomed and we
will be very much engaged in the process of NCUC policies content
development and NGSG agenda within ICANN multistakeholder model.

My first ICANN 53 fellowship experience in B.A was a great opportunity
to bring together, different recommendations, suggestions and new ideas
to the diverse institutions and organizations that work on improving the
role of NCSG particularly within  the IG Community in the Arab world as
a means to assess the strengths and weaknesses of ICANN multistakeholder
model.

I realize that this is a substantial time commitment from my part. The
task ahead of me is huge. But I’m confident that we can work
productively and achieve the desired outcome in the time allotted. Most
importantly, I believe that this undertaking will result in a better
grasp of where we are in the discussion to charter the course for the
future in terms the development of policy analysis within NCUC
framework, working groups and engagement programs.

I’m positive that my background in policy analyst with IGMENA will be
with great added value for the work of NCSG on developing advocacy and
policies on Internet governance issues in the arable world. Also, I want
to learn from NCUC expertise in policy development on issues related to
running new TLDs. I want to enhance the debate over Internet governance
issues related to ICANN content layer particularly on online freedom of
expression advocacy, data protection, privacy and censorship and
surveillance.

I recommend taking a look on the  MENA region internet governance
program (IGMENA) http://igmena.org/. We contribute in bringing civil
society voices together to advocate for better policies and to expand
the Arab region audience awareness in this field. The strategy will be
to focus on current issues and emerging threats to digital rights and
manage the content produced specific to the countries in the MENA
region. This can be with a great added value to the several standing and
ad hoc working teams with the NCUC structure that already exist like the
cross-community working group.

The approach will give me a chance to get the action to get our team
re-aligned and focused on that effort. Can you give the new members the
next step to tackle any roadblocks that could incentivize more work in
the NCUC constituency and the policy writing process.

Our region needs to have a sense of the priority of action assigned to
each one of us to be able to work locally and regionally on the
implementation of NCUC Standards mandate at the technical and policy
advocacy level.

Some sample of my publication:
http://igmena.org/meac-sig-2105-english
http://igmena.org/Middle-East-Strategy-ICANN-Initiative