Date:
Mon, 26 May 2014 07:10:20 -0400
I think they habe p[[lenty of special protection already in the
Registry Agreement:

Specification 5
.
.

5. Intergovernmental Organizations.  As instructed from time to time
by ICANN, Registry Operator will implement the protections mechanism
determined by the ICANN Board of Directors relating to the protection
of identifiers for Intergovernmental Organizations.  A list of
reserved names for this Section 6 is available at
http://www.icann.org/en/resources/registries/reserved.  Additional
names (including their IDN variants) may be added to the list upon ten
(10) calendar days notice from ICANN to Registry Operator.  Any such
protected identifiers for Intergovernmental Organizations may not be
activated in the DNS, and may not be released for registration to any
person or entity other than Registry Operator[A1]  unless Registry
Operator obtains written permission from the Intergovernmental
Organization of interest to release some or all of its listed
identifiers for registration [A2] .  Upon conclusion of Registry
Operator’s designation as operator of the registry for the TLD, all
such protected identifiers shall be transferred as specified by ICANN.
 Registry Operator may self-allocate and renew such names without use
of an ICANN accredited registrar, which will not be considered
Transactions for purposes of Section 6.1 of the Agreement.

________________________________

Here is the list:

https://www.icann.org/sites/default/files/packages/reserved-names/ReservedNames.xml

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 4:29 AM, William Drake <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Agree with Avri, IGOs & some NGOs have legitimate concerns here and this was what ‘the community’ could work out as a mutually acceptable framework.
>
> I would think NPOC would be particularly interested in this ‘operational concern’...
>
> Bill
>

> On May 25, 2014, at 11:47 PM, Avri Doria <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> On 25-May-14 17:05, McTim wrote:
>>> I do not support this notion at all.
>>
>> Oh good.
>>
>> I tend toward supporting it.  So we can share reasons.
>>
>> I tend to think that we need something for IGOs and NGOs that is the
>> equivalent protection to what business get by their use of trademarks.
>> I am not all that found of trademarks, especially on common language,
>> but they do exist and the do give advantages to commercial entities.
>>
>> I think the IGOs and those NGOs recognized by ECOSOC should get the same
>> level of protections that we have according the commercial enterprises.
>> I tend to look for parity in such things and this seems like that to
>> me.  IGOs can't use the trademark system. Some NGOs can, but not globally.
>>
>> While I would personally prefer that trademarks had fewer privileges, I
>> think that IGOs and ECOSOC recognized NGOs should have the same privileges.
>>
>> avri

> William J. Drake
> International Fellow & Lecturer
>   University of Zurich, Switzerland
>   ICANN, www.ncuc.org
> [log in to unmask] (direct), [log in to unmask] (lists),
>   www.williamdrake.org

Cheers,

McTim