Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2014 10:56:04 +1300
Hi Robin - thanks a lot for highlighting this. We should do a submission
and I'd like to help and provide comments.
While I agree it seems the GAC wishes to move from the GNSO policy and
process in the applicant guide book, this is in light of difficult
experiences through the first round. I agree, as others have noted, that
there are outstanding issues for governments that aren't resolved. For
example, governments are duty bearers and are obliged to act to protect
cultural and other rights where these are at risk - dotpatagonia is an
example. Many governments have the support of their citizens in
asserting these rights - so i do not think the process issue is clear cut.
I also do not think having a ban on names is the answer - and I want to
read the GAC paper to be better informed about their proposal. But
something is needed beyond simply a first past the post TLD application
process as we saw in the first round ....
The deadline is 31 October - will there be a discussion at the NCSG
policy meeting in LA?

Joy