From:
Timothe Litt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Timothe Litt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 2015 18:13:12 -0400
Kathy,

No doubt you'll be unsurprised by my reaction.  But I'll say it anyway.

What about non-trademark holders rights?  You know, those
individuals/families/clubs (organizations with a lower-case O) who want
a name for non-commercial, non-trade, non-Organizational use?  In the
original scheme (that created DNS from HOSTS.TXT), .COM was for
COMmercial.  And trademarks having priority there made (and makes
sense.)  And .com.<geo> allowed for the geographic scope of most trademarks.

The other TLDs, such as .edu (and .edu.<geo>) also had an intended
scope, making it easy to distinguish harvard.edu (the university) from
harvard.ma.us(the town in Massachusetts)  from harvard.ma.gov from
harvard.org (now dormant) and from harvard.com (the Harvard bookstore).

At this point, it seems that any trademark holder can assert the right
to his mark in any TLD, any geo, and with priority over any individual.
(Say, the descendants of John Harvard...)

I've not seen any TLD with a sunrise period for non-trademarks.  Or a
prohibition against squatting on non-trademarks to prevent their use by
individuals.

Individual (non-Organization, non-tradmark holding)  registrants and
would-be registrants need to be explicitly called-out and need to have
explicit protections.  I'm fine with commercial TLDs that prioritize
trademarks.  As long as there are accessible TLDs for the rest of us,
where trademarks need not apply.  And some grandfather protection for
those of us who registered in the TLDs of polluted intent before the
expansion of the TLD universe...

Of course I appreciate and support your concern for "fairness and
balance" and all your efforts to comment.  They are necessary - but not
sufficient - to address the fairness and balance required to meet the
needs of my segment of the constituency.

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer
if any, on the matters discussed.

Kathy,