From:
Milton Mueller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Milton Mueller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 2004 03:38:49 -0500
NCUC members held a joint meeting with interim At Large Advisory
Committee members December 2.

The joint meeting agreed that with WSIS and WGIG putting pressure on
ICANN, now is the time to push for more adequate user representation
within ICANN. Even a revival of direct election of Board members was
discussed.

It was also agreed that even without structural changes we should make
efforts to integrate and strengthen the civil society presence in ICANN
and to integrate it more with the civil society activity in the WSIS
process.

One way to do that would be to strongly commit ourselves to having a
joint ALAC-NCUC meeting at all future ICANN meetings. The meeting agreed
to do this.

Another mechanism would be to create mailing lists focused on broader
issues (e.g., privacy, multilingualism) that we could promote among the
civil society people involved in WSIS. They could participate in these
lists and become more familiar with the issues without having to commit
themselves to membership in NCUC or ALAC.