From:
Konstantinos Komaitis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Konstantinos Komaitis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Feb 2012 09:18:27 +0000
Thanks for the input thus far. Two things I would like to clarify: as you know, I am principally against any kind of special protection about either of these names, but this does not appear to be an option for the group that has been created - the idea is to appease the GAC and that's why - whether we like it or not - some sort of recommendations will come out of this process. The option number 6 under question 1 on Jeff's email is my contribution for those rightful owners that exist (especially in Greece) and have legitimate claims to the term Olympic or its variations, be it due to trademark rights or other geographical/cultural indicators. I am thrilled with the idea them having to go through an appeals process (it creates bureaucracy) but this appears to be the best we can do at this point.

On the point that we shouldn't treat the IOC and the Red Cross as one batch, I also raised this but the majority in the group seems to think that there is not such issue, despite the fact that we have repeatedly said that there is. I will raise it again as I think this issue becomes more obvious at the second level. In the comments I sent to Jeff, I will express the views of this group, but it would be good if we could have also some answers to the questions.

My sense for the questions is the following:

Question 1: I could live with option 6a and 6b - I don't trust the IOC to provide letters allowing this to happen and I don't trust the governments to do the same. There needs to be an appeal's process.

Question 2: I go for option 1. Don't give them more than we have to - we are already giving them plenty.

Question 3: I would go for option 2 and that's it..

Again, I repeat, this is me compromising, since I know that, even if we stick to our guns for no protections, then they will go ahead and produce recommendations. It is better to be part of their formation, than not.

Thanks

KK

Dr. Konstantinos Komaitis,

Senior Lecturer,
Director of Postgraduate Instructional Courses
Director of LLM Information Technology and Telecommunications Law
University of Strathclyde,
The Law School,
Graham Hills building,
50 George Street, Glasgow G1 1BA