From:
Niels ten Oever <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Niels ten Oever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Oct 2015 12:18:18 +0200

Dear Viktor,

I am not really convinced bu the argument that the Internet has (or
should have) the same status as a night club. If any part of the
Internet would simply drop packets because of the wrong header, we
would simply route around it.

Am also not sure if this is a sufficient mapping of human rights
online, it seems that most things are described in relation to hate
speech, whereas the is more to say, non-discrimination then what is
described here, no? Take for instance algorithmic decision making.

Also missed a discussion on Intermediary Liability in the document,
does is align with the Manila Principles?

Best,

Niels

On 10/02/2015 10:43 AM, Viktor Szabados wrote:
> Hello Everybody,
>
> let me give also some input from my side, as consultant of the No
> Hate Speech Movement of the Council of Europe. We have a quite good
> summary of all the issues around human rights and Internet, in
> particular linked to hate speech. We run besides the campaign
> conferences, workshops and this guide is also for different
> exercises around this topic. We can offer you inputs and knowledge
> based on the expertise and experience of our campaign run since
> 2012.
>
> An other good network of experts is around the Internet Rights and
> Principles Coalition where I am also member of the board, see our
> Charter also below. The Coalition gained also official observer
> status at the Council of Europe’s Steering Committee on Media
> Information and Society (CDMSI).
>

> NHSM Council of Europe - No Hate Speech Movement
> http://www.nohatespeechmovement.org Bookmarks p. 144-145 see
> attached, full edition link below
> http://nohate.ext.coe.int/Campaign-Tools-and-Materials/Bookmarks
> http://nohate.ext.coe.int/content/download/38987/300906/file/Bookmarks
_EN_online.pdf

>  Human rights and the Internet The Internet is mostly “owned” and
> controlled by private companies. This makes the protection of human
> rights more complicated, because human rights are really ‘rules for
> governments’, not private companies. If a shopping mall or private
> nightclub wants to forbid people from wearing jeans, protesting, or
> distributing information about another company, all of which are
> forms of ‘expression’, you cannot plead freedom of expression and
> take them to the European Court of Human Rights! In the same way,
> private companies can mostly set the rules that people must abide
> by when using parts of the Internet owned by them. If people do not
> like the rules, they can complain, but the ultimate sanction is
> simply not to use the service. However, this does not mean that
> those parts of the world which are owned by private companies,
> including the Internet, are not regulated by human rights laws!
> Human rights impose (at least) two different types of obligation on
> governments: 1. They set limits on what governments are actively
> allowed to do, for example, they are not allowed to ban all
> political dissent, engage in torture, or deprive someone of their
> liberty without proper reason. 2. They oblige governments to take
> positive action to ensure that rights are properly protected. This
> may mean passing laws which prohibit discrimination, making sure
> that violent acts are prosecuted (and punished), or ensuring that
> victims receive proper protection. ...
>

> IRPC Internet Rights and Principles Coalition -
> http://internetrightsandprinciples.org/ the charter of human rights
> and principles for the internet
> http://internetrightsandprinciples.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2014/08
/IRPC_Booklet-English_4thedition.pdf

>  What do we mean by Human Rights & Principles? Human rights are
> international human rights as defined by international law. We have
> translated these directly to the internet with provisions such as
> freedom from blocking and filtering. These can be identified by the
> use of language such as “everyone has a right to...” and “everyone
> has a freedom to...”. By “Principles” we are talking about those
> internet policy principles or implementation principles that
> describe features of the system which are required to support human
> rights, these can be identified by the use of language such as
> “shall” and “must”. ...
>

> Happy to give more insight or connection if needed, just drop me a
> line.
>
> thanks,your vik
>
> On 01/10/2015, Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> As we struggle to determine where and how human rights fit into
>> what ICANN is and what it does, it might be useful to read the
>> recent report to the UN General Assembly by the UN Special
>> Rapporteur on extreme poverty and human rights, Philip Alston,
>> submitted in accordance with Human Rights Council resolution
>> 26/.
>>
>> It is short, 23 pages long, and has been used by others to
>> describe the World Bank, in negative terms, as a "Human-Rights
>> Free Zone". I would hate to see that label applied to ICANN.
>>
>> http://www.un.org/en/ga/search/view_doc.asp?symbol=A/70/274
>>
>> Sam L.
>>
>> --
>
> Re: Human Rights@ICANN 54   Inbox Stephanie
> Perrin<[log in to unmask]>	1 October 2015 at 17:32
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Gac public safety committee, on Monday at 330 to 430 I believe
> Stephanie
>
> On 2015-10-01 9:44, Marilia Maciel wrote: Dear NCSGers,
>
> Here is a compilation of ICANN sessions that are either about
> human rights or that relate to Human Rights discussions. May be of
> interest to this group.
>
> Please, take a look and see if you would have any
> additions/deletions to make: http://bit.ly/1LSIbvQ
>
> Best wishes, Marília

- --
Niels ten Oever
Head of Digital

Article 19
www.article19.org

PGP fingerprint    8D9F C567 BEE4 A431 56C4
                   678B 08B5 A0F2 636D 68E9