From:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2016 08:17:22 +0300
On Sun, Aug 21, 2016 at 11:59:26PM -0400, avri doria ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

> I do hope that whatever the WG on Communications comes up with is
> communicated and vetted first by the Discuss list before being cast in
> stone as an official NCSG procedure.

Yes. And not only that - the discuss list isn't a decision-making body,
after all. Any official NCSG procedure must be established by either
the Policy Committee, the Executive Committee or the Chair.
Indeed that applies to forming working groups as well.

That said, I think the idea of a working group for communications
Stephanie proposed is an excellent one and I would not want to
delay it's formation any more than necessary.

Reading our charter it isn't immediately clear to me who should decide
on this - either Policy Committee or Executive Committee could
argued for.

But, seeing the support and enthusiasm I'd rather not lose the
momentum to get it started, I could take it upon myself to establish
the working group as an executive decision of the Chair.

I don't see a need to be overly complicated about this: I would simply
ask Stephanie to convene group and task the group to report its
findings and recommendations to the EC for formal decision-making as
needed, or referral to the PC as appropriate. And of course any new
procedures would be discussed with the membership, on the discuss
list, before making them official.

Opinions, objections?

--
Tapani Tarvainen