From:
Avri Doria <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Avri Doria <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2014 11:18:16 -0400
Hi,

> Why do people need to be NCSG first?

Because that is the way the SG was redesigned and chartered after the
last GNSO review.

Brief history

We wanted a Cthat had no constituencies, just small more ad hoc
interests groups that could come and go as the interests came and went.

The powers that were in the SIC (Board Structural Improvements
Committee, i think) said no.  they said: Thou shalt have constituencies.

So we came up with a compromise structure were we could have as many
constituencies as we wanted, and any NCSG member could join up to three
of them (if of course we ever have more than 3)

In presentations at the time we used to talk about 7 constituencies (a
number greater that the number of council seats), all very light weight
and able to blink into existence and back out of existence with fair
ease.  Once we were done with the procedures and with negotiating with
BoardStaff, the constituencies did not end up as light as we wanted.

But the main principle in the design of the NCSG is that people join the
SG and vote at the SG level and don't even have to join constituencies
if they don't want.  The constituency main role, so to speak, is to
draft position papers in relation to the calls that come out from every
PDP.  And they get budget.

So the carter states that one must be a member of the NCSG in order to
then join up to 3 NCSG constituencies.

Some of us, e.g. me, were in favor of starting up all sorts of
constituencies.  Some of is. e.g. others, were against it because it was
too much process overhead.  So here we sit with two constituencies and
one fairly defunct candidate constituency.

avri