From:
Amr Elsadr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amr Elsadr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Aug 2016 19:42:17 +0200
Hi,

If folks recall, a while back there had been a similar call for volunteers for this job. We did discuss this on an NCSG monthly policy call when it was first on the Council agenda, but we didn’t really follow up.

The GNSO has had a liaison with the GAC for about two years now (if I’m getting the timeline right). This was the result of a recommendation that had come out of the GAC/GNSO Consultative Group on GAC early engagement in the GNSO’s policy development process. The idea was to open a communication channel between the GAC and the GNSO that kick starts an internal process within the GAC, so that they could identify gTLD policy issues being developed within the GNSO that have some kind of “public policy” implication. The objective here was to help them provide input to GNSO processes, and work through them while the policies are being developed. As opposed to not interacting with them at all until the policies we develop are before the ICANN board, and we end up reading for the first time in GAC communiques why they disagree with us.

Anyway…, a few months ago when a call for volunteers for the liaison role was published, there was only one applicant that the GNSO Council leadership team (which recommends a selection of a candidate to the Council) determined did not meet the desired criteria for the job. The candidate was ultimately not confirmed by the rest of the Council. So this announcement is pretty much a round 2.

Just thought to give some context.

Thanks.

Amr