From:
Dan Krimm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Krimm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2014 21:26:11 -0700
Okay Andrew, so there are three possible positions here regarding transparency:

(1) Mandated transparency
(2) No position, individual choice
(3) Mandated opacity

And you're saying that because the process of choosing mandated
transparency was not a bottom-up process, it may be procedurally
illegitimate.  (Correct me if I'm wrong, please.  This is how I'm reading
you.)

I think it's worth distinguishing at least some internal procedural
policies (how does ICANN work) from substantive policies (how does DNS
work).

ICANN was formed initially by a top-down process of incorporation in the
State of California, with an operating agreement with NTIA/Commerce Dept.
I don't think that process of institutional definition necessarily has to
conform to a bottom-up process (or if it does, perhaps any *changes* in it
need to have more than rough consensus -- perhaps they should be required
to have *full/unanimous* consensus -- cf. more difficult processes to
change the US Constitution than to enact laws under it).  Was transparency
of operation of policy-making bodies in ICANN's institutional definition
from the get-go?  If so, I don't think we need to insist that it adhere to
bottom-up definition procedures.

Of course, since ICANN's institutional definition is about to come under a
new authority, I suppose that means everything is out the window, like a
new constitutional convention.

I think personally that transparency of MS policy-making bodies is so
important as to make it a fundamental, unchangeable characteristic of any
MS process.  Without it, I don't see how the MS process can ultimately
succeed on its own basic terms.

Dan

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and do
not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.