From:
Stephanie Perrin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephanie Perrin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 2014 11:14:46 -0400
I was at the real Netmundial, and for all its flaws, I thought it was an
impressive attempt to do the thing right.  My takeaway from that was
that Civil Society, despite ten years of getting organized at IGF, was
not ready to fight off the inevitable power grab which was coming, and
which frankly we saw acted out in the closing hours of the deliberations
over the final texts.  I am afraid my view of what is going on at the
WEF is much less optimistic.  I would like to know whether Fadi led us
into this willingly, or made an astute executive decision that WEF was
happening and ICANN had to be there.  Given the lack of transparency
thus far, I am not optimistic about the answer to that one.
I think Civil Society ought to hold out for no more proliferation of
fora, which can only weaken our already weak position.  Build the IGF
into a proper, funded, multi-stakeholder organization.   In the
meantime, clean up ICANN so that it can take a leadership role, and
that, in my opinion, is going to take lots of work.
Let us not go willing or silently into the WEF process.  Apparently
nothing happened this morning, the time to tune in is close of day when
we get to the real agenda.  May the force be with our few reps there at
the meeting, who will have to fight hard.
Kind regards,
Stephanie Perrin