From:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 2015 12:22:09 +0300
Ed and Milton have a point: narrower edge is always sharper and just a
generic reference to Human Rights is likely to be less effective than
explicit mention of one or two.

But I would not be happy with the formulation that only mentions
freedom of expression, or any that omits privacy in particular.
That is not to say other Human Rights aren't as important, but in the
practical workings of ICANN they're likely to be less affected
by a mention here or lack thereof.
While some like due process are clearly also relevant, listing too many
would again make the language less sharp, so it might make sense to
highlight the two that are most important in ICANN context.

The present language already mentions only privacy as an example of
what's missing. While I can live with that, I would prefer one
that'd emphasize privacy even more.

Perhaps we could say that while out of the two options offered we'd
prefer the generic HR one, we would very strongly want at least
privacy mentioned in addition to freedom of expression, suggesting
that a compromise phrasing like "... human rights, in particular
freedom of expression and privacy" might work. If the final outcome
then is one that only mentions FoE and privacy, it would not be
a disaster either.

Tapani