From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 2016 12:59:15 -0400
Milton, (anyone?)

I agree that this is how it is now supposed to work, but what happens if
someone votes for all candidates, and NOTA?
NOTE: Also, not voting for a particular candidate does not automatically
mean that that voter will also vote NOTA. That is a voter's decision.

Also, since NOTA is applied against all candidate vote tallies there is
a question left hanging.
Does this mean that a ballot with full candidate support and a NOTA vote
also counts to tally NOTA totals, and a candidate with low support may
be defeated?
Or, does it mean that the whole ballot from that voter is spoiled?
Seeking clarity here.

Sam L  NOPC/csih

On 8/24/2016 12:22 PM, Mueller, Milton L wrote:
> Enrique
> No this is not how it works. The fictitious example provides absurd results because it is fictitious.
> You didn't specify total number of voters, but suppose it's 445 (number of votes for A + number of votes for NOTA)
> If there are 445 voters, why did candidate C get only 208 votes? The other 227 votes must have been NOTA votes
>
> NOTA votes only count when you DON"T vote for one or more of the Councilors.
> So if C got only 208 votes, he/she is by no means "the most consensual candidate"
>
> You can only vote for 3 candidates.
> If NOTA is one of them, you must not vote for at least ONE of the other candidates.
>
> --MM

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured
in an unjust state" -Confucius
  邦有道,贫且贱焉,耻也。邦无道,富且贵焉,耻也
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus & Senior Scholar)
Econ, York U., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - M3J 1P3
email: [log in to unmask]   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  http://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: +1 613-476-0429 cell: +1 416-816-2852