From:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Sep 2014 09:30:40 +0300
On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 11:52:32PM +0900, Rafik Dammak ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

> we have already one master NCSG database file.

Yes, but unless I'm mistaken, it's just a spreadsheet you maintain
manually, while NCUC and NPOC maintain theirs separately, without
any systematic synchronizing of changes &c.

> I am working with the admin support to clean-up, consolidate the existing
> NCSG membership list and working to update info for some organizational
> members after the check-in process for the last election.

Which is very useful, but could be much easier with proper database
for it.

> I would advise to not add more additional fields not directly related to
> applications or aimed for specific purpose. that should be in another
> list/table which link to NCSG membership list.

In a relational database it would be easy to add new tables linked
to the main member table.

> > 2.      Where should the membership database be hosted? Should it be on an
> > ICANN server or elsewhere?
> >

> while we are involved in ICANN, we have to be independant on our internal
>  management matters. we have public  NCSG membership list for transparency
> . I don't think any other group in GNSO is using ICANN platform for
> critical matter like membership but they should provide public list of the
> membership which is missing for many.
> so membership database or list must be kept at NCSG.

I tend to agree with this, even if it means a bit more effort from NCSG.
Having our own database in our own server would be ideal in this respect
(like NCUC does now). Feeding data back to ICANN's Confluence wiki could
be easily automated to some extent, as desired (even though Confluence
is, eh, not quite as flexible as one might hope).

> > 3.      Who should have what levels of access to the membership database?
>
> NCSG EC and Chair are tasked to maintain the database and update it (refer
> to NCSG charter). maybe EC for constituencies may have access to view-only
> mode .

That would be very easy to arrange. They might also have write access
to constituency membership status (could be in a separate table) or
whatever constituency-specific tables they desire.

> > 4.      Should members have password protected access to their own
> > profiles in order to update information (especially important for
> > organizations)?
>
> we don't have such solution yet and this need development to support user
> management, authentication, authorization and which data they can access.

True. It would need some work to implement that, but not all that much,
given that we don't really need ultra-high-secure system.

> members just need to update records by informing the NCSG chair during the
> check-in election process. if an organization don't do that during a
> check-in period, it is unlikely to do it in other time.

Yes, but it would be easier on them as well as on you if they could
simply update it in a web form. If a check-in message contains
a direct link to such a form, it would be even easier.

> > 5.      Should profile access by via the ICANN dashboard?
> >

> which ICANN dashboard?how many people from NCSG use them regularly?

I suspect most NCSG members don't even know what it is...

--
Tapani Tarvainen