From:
Kathy Kleiman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathy Kleiman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2016 21:36:27 -0400
Dear Milton,

A ballot has been duly and timely issued by the Chairman of the NCSG
pursuant to the schedule that was published some time ago. The
candidates are those who agreed to run; all duly nominated and seconded
and other requirements of candidacy met. The ballot looks almost
identical to the one issued last year when Rafik was still chair of the
NCSG.  Same format, structure, etc.

I have duly cast my vote as have others. I fully expect my vote (and
your vote) to be counted and our election to continue.

There is an appeal, as you note, and that appeal must be evaluated by
the NCSG EC. But that appeal, in and of itself, cannot interrupt the
election now in progress. An appeal is an argument - and that argument
must be evaluated fully and fairly. Are its claims accurate? Are its
concerns valid under the charter?  Appeals are not "automatic
interrupts" (for example, the Net Neutrality regulations of the US FCC,
as you know, went into effect even as the appeals filed against it were
pending in court). To stop something, you must PROVE it is wrong, not
merely allege it. It has to go through the appellate process.

We agree that review of this appeal is now the job of the full EC. If
you reason that the EC needs to act by Full Consensus, I respectfully
submit that such a Full Consensus must be brought to bear to stop the
election already in progress, not to continue it.

Again, I and others have cast our votes on a ballot virtually identical
to the one we cast our ballot on last year. Before my vote and others
are cast out, we MUST have due process in the review of this appeal by
the EC. One assumes the EC must listen to both the arguments presented
by the appeal and the counter-arguments that others must be allowed to
offer. I look forward to the EC's publication of that schedule. Fairness
and due process require nothing less.

Best regards, Kathy