The USGS has opened a new position for a permanent job at the USGS Central Region Mineral Resources and Environmental Science Center located in Lakewood, CO. The position is for a Research Geologist in the multi-collector ICP-MS Facility. This position is for an isotope geochemist involved in specific activities related to the MC-ICP-MS in support of geological, environmental, biological problems related to USGS and federal partner science. The lab is equipped with a Nu Plasma HR MC-ICP-MS, a newly installed extended range single collector HR-ICP-MS, various quadrupole ICP-MS systems and a large variety of laser ablation systems for in-situ trace element measurements. The person will work alongside scientists from the ICP-MS labs, the electron probe/SEM facility, geologists and chemists involved in a large variety of applications. This is a great opportunity to be involved in an interdisciplinary isotope geology/geochemistry lab with a large amount of
supporting instrumentation. We need your help finding someone for this exciting position. Perhaps your or your colleagues know someone with real MC-ICP-MS development and application experience that can apply any of a variety of single or multiple isotopic systems to a diverse array of applications. The position is advertised as a permanent position, offers good benefits and is located in beautiful Colorado! The application process opened yesterday and will be open till Sept. 30th, but applicants need to make sure they fill out all of the application material completely therefore we/they need to get cracking.
I would like to ask you to think if you or any of your colleagues can forward this to anyone who should be aware of this position. Details of the position are posted on USA Jobs
or search USAJobs for USGS positions in Denver, CO.
Details about the position and the application process are found at USA Jobs (including the requirements and other details. If you have any questions, please contact the Science Center Director, Ian Ridley ([log in to unmask]) or follow contact information of the USA Jobs site. An excerpt of the duties are listed below.
Thanks in advance for your help getting the word out about this position. Feel free to forward this to anyone you like!
United States Geological Survey
Central Mineral and Environmental Resources
Laser Ablation ICP-MS Facility
MS 973 Denver Federal Center
Denver, CO 80225
Excerpt from USA Jobs Posting:
As a Research Geologist within the Central Mineral and Environmental Resources Science Center (CMERSC), some of your specific duties will include:
- Independently identifying research topics for which the multi-collector ICP-MS is applicable to current research activities within the Minerals and Environmental Resources Science Center and other USGS activities and also integration of supporting instrumentation, such as microanalytical or bulk geochemical methods, in research investigations.
- Independently develops new analytical methodologies for the multi-collector ICP-MS and uses supporting instrumentation, such as bulk geochemical methods, SEM, electron probe, laser ablation ICP-MS, or others, over a broad range of earth science investigations.
- Maintains a broad level of scientific knowledge, skill and experience in the fields of isotope geochemistry, petrology and economic geology. Collaborates with other geoscientists to develop improved geochemical and isotopic methods to unravel the history of samples related to USGS and customer/client investigations.
- Independently coordinates experiments that synthesize geochemical and isotopic data at multiple spatial and temporal scales (from microscopic to outcrop or larger) and designs targeted application of multi-collector ICP-MS isotope measurements that solve geochemical problems.
- Communicates the results of research and applied studies to colleagues, project management, other scientists, and to society.