Help for PLASMACHEM-L Archives

PLASMACHEM-L Archives

PLASMACHEM-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU

PLASMACHEM-L Home

PLASMACHEM-L  September 2011

PLASMACHEM-L September 2011

Re: suggestions for cleaning algae off crab shells

Randy Mercurio <[log in to unmask]>

PLASMACHEM-L: Analytical Chem.(ICP's, DCP's, MIP's).

Tue, 20 Sep 2011 15:24:53 -0400

Hi Karen,
Depending on the type of algae you may be able to place the larvae under a dissecting microscope and gently remove it with warm water and a fine soft-haired paintbrush. This would apply to the slime like algae and I presume that's what this is if they are only larvae.

I'm not sure how this would affect the integrity of your samples but in the aquarium industry algae is commonly gotten off plastic plants and ornaments with a cap full of bleach in a 5 gallon bucket. You obviously may need to adjust the concentration to avoid damaging your specimens. This would allow you to process numerous specimens at one time. The bleach kills the algae and then the ornaments are rinsed numerous times and scrubbed if necessary. You may be able to observe a few specimens under a microscope processed with this technique to see if it clears the algae out of your way in itself otherwise it may require a little further gentle cleaning with a fine paintbrush. You would need to hold the specimen steady with a pair of appropriate forceps being that they are so small or you could use a small cap/Petri dish filled with fine sandblasting beads (for example, http://www.grizzly.com/products/Sandblasting-Media-Glass-Bead-50-Micron/G6538) and water to try and help hold your specimen in place while using the paintbrush to gently rub the killed algae off your specimens.

Hope that helps,
Randy

Randy J. Mercurio
ICP-MS Chemist
Eastern Research Group, Inc.
601 Keystone Park Drive
Suite 700
Morrisville, NC 27560
Office: (919) 468 - 7922
Lab: (919) 468 - 7933
Fax: (919) 468 - 7803
Email: [log in to unmask]
www.erg.com
>>> Karen Spaleta <[log in to unmask]> 9/20/2011 1:04 PM >>>
I have a user that is interested in measuring Ca & Mg in crab larvae
shells using LA-ICP-MS.  These guys are about 1 mm long, and some of
them have a lot of algae.  Any suggestions on ways to clean the algae
off that would maintain the Ca & Mg levels in the shells?

Karen J. Spaleta
ICP-MS Research Professional
Advanced Instrumentation Laboratory
University of Alaska Fairbanks