Re: dos-a-dos?

Lee Kirk <[log in to unmask]>

Book_Arts-L <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 25 Jun 2016 07:31:05 -0700

I checked in some Keith Smith books and the closest thing I could find was a possible variation of what he calls a "fold book," although I didn't see an exact duplicate of this. I have seen similar structures for sample books and canvassing books. Keith includes dos-a-dos in "fold books" so perhaps that's as close as it comes. Although I'll bet somewhere there is a specific name for this structure.
Lee Kirk
The Prints & The Paper

-----Original Message-----
From: Book_Arts-L [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Vernon Wiering
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2016 6:25 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [BKARTS] dos-a-dos?

I have a quick question about a binding structure. The link below is to a picture of a book that appears to be fundamentally a dos-a-dos binding, but differs from most in that the board structure is more of a U than a Z. The backs of the books are still together, as in the typical dos-a-dos binding but one accesses the second volume differently. The question: Is there a name besides dos-a-dos for this structure, or is this simply a subspecies?

http://wieringbooks.com/bindersticket/?page_id=626 <http://wieringbooks.com/bindersticket/?page_id=626>

Thanks in advance for any input,

Vernon

-

Vernon Wiering
Bookbinder

History    Craft    Beauty

NEW: Melville's Clarel matched binding.
http://wieringbooks.com/bindersticket/?p=617

Online journal:
http://wieringbooks.com/bindersticket/
Instagram: foliorx

616/248-5434
1553 Orville Street SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49507

NOTE: Postings for all events being held at a physical location including exhibits, lectures, workshops, ... MUST include city/state in the subject line to be approved:
             No requests for more information will be made.