Help for BOOK_ARTS-L Archives

BOOK_ARTS-L Archives

BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU

BOOK_ARTS-L Home

BOOK_ARTS-L  June 2016

BOOK_ARTS-L June 2016

Thélème at the University of Pennsylvania - 20 Aug 2016

"Schechter, Rachael" <[log in to unmask]>

Book_Arts-L <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 28 Jun 2016 17:19:30 +0000

The Philadelphia area branch of the Society for Creative Anachronisms (sca.org) is putting out a last call for presentations and an invitation for our event at the Kislak Center, the rare books library at the University of Pennsylvania.

This is not a competition but the occasion to share our research into things relevant to the Middle Ages and Renaissance. While presentations on all subjects are welcome, inspired by the context of the library, we are particularly interested in having a track fully dedicated to the making of the books (making parchment, paper, ink, preparing pigments, calligraphy, printing, bookbinding…)

The format of the day is as follows:

 - Lecture-style presentations with a question-and-answer session at the end; presentation slots are one half-hour, with fifteen minutes of presentation and ten minutes of question-and-answer. Those presenters who are comfortable with a longer presentation are welcome to request two adjoining slots, for a forty-minute presentation and fifteen minutes of question-and-answer. There are a finite number of slots, and we will start adding classes on a rolling timeline as we receive and review proposals. Please send any and all proposals to Lissa Underhill at [log in to unmask]

 - A poster session. There is some space available for poster display. If there is interest, there will be a hall set up to display poster-size presentations of research topics (either hanging or free-standing trifolds). There will be an hour during the day while the posters are attended by their authors; the room will be open throughout the day for interested folks to walk through and read at their leisure. There is no limit on the number of poster slots. Please send any and all poster proposals to Lissa Underhill at [log in to unmask]

 - Manuscript interaction room. This is the rare books library and, with advance warning, Penn’s manuscript relevant to the classes will be available to peruse. There is only room for us to pull about 8 books. So, early requests and ones that tie a manuscript to a class will get priority.

For more information see:

http://www.library.upenn.edu/kislak/

http://www.library.upenn.edu/collections/rbm/

- Breakout area and lounge space for conversation and further exploration of topics that caught your interest during one presentation or another. Also feel free to bring your favorite reference books to show others.

Because we will be presenting our research with all the modern tools of the presenter's art, this demo is in modern dress. The interested general public is encouraged to attend.

The EK event announcement is here: http://www.eastkingdom.org/EventDetails.php?eid=2950

Please contact the event steward with questions or comments at [log in to unmask]

We are excited to host this colloquium in Penn and hope to see you there!