Help for PLASMACHEM-L Archives

PLASMACHEM-L Archives

PLASMACHEM-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU

PLASMACHEM-L Home

PLASMACHEM-L  March 2017

PLASMACHEM-L March 2017

Re: Agilent Triple Quad ICPMS? - 8800 or new 8900

HERRMANN Otto <[log in to unmask]>

PLASMACHEM-L: Analytical Chem.(ICP's, DCP's, MIP's).

Fri, 10 Mar 2017 16:17:01 +0000

That's interesting. I did not realize that the octopole was a routinely replaced item. Good to know and it makes sense in the reaction zone. I see that you use some interesting mixtures. How do the two quads fare over time? If they do need replacing - even after a few years - how easy to do. We would be pretty well guaranteed to have to do this ourselves because of our work with radioactives. Not that much real activity, but service people tend to be really nervous when you say "radioactive". Would they be a major expense? How much? I would not expect to do that very often but if you do not budget for it then upper management gets upset.

I absolutely agree about the importance of getting the best cones possible for corrosive or reactive work. We were able to get some custom Pt/Ir tipped cones for our old Sciex Elan DRC with the tipped region extending significantly farther - major improvement. We also found that we could dissolve cones at the interface with "regular" cones. Luckily Ir was "in" for a short while so that we could get them made because they did not seem to catch on otherwise - a great shame in my opinion if you have nasty matrices. No one else seems to agree with my love of these cones - not just the specific alloy of Pt/Ir, but the extra "depth" of the tips. In addition to the extra resistance to destruction, we did get a small but real improvement in performance due to the extra harness - the tips retained shape better. It took enormous effort to get a few similar sets of cones made for our Varian 820, but with the unfortunate demise of Varian and then Bruker as suppliers there is little hope of repeating that. Of course, the larger Varian cones made that a serious expense, so it would not be easy to repeat anyway. I do hope that the new systems become popular enough that they represent a noticeable market - then there is hope of doing the same if we are able to acquire either of the 2 new systems.

By any chance, are the cone design and dimensions common to the line? Then we would not need to worry about the new systems specifically becoming "volume" items.

Dr. Otto Herrmann, Ph.D.,
Technical Director,
Kinectrics Inc.
800 Kipling Ave., Unit 2, Building KJ