please find below the information for a full time Isotope Geochemistry technician position at the University of Barcelona (Spain).
Interested candidates please reply directly to me or to the email posted below.
Clean Laboratory and MC-ICPMS
Department of Earth and Ocean Dynamics
University of Barcelona, Spain
The Department of Earth and Ocean Dynamics from the University of Barcelona is seeking a highly motivated geochemist to assist in the sample processing and instrumental analysis of radiogenic isotopes and trace element geochemistry. Candidate needs to be qualified to oversee and perform daily operations and maintenance tasks for a new MC-ICPMS and clean laboratory facilities.
The successful applicant must have a degree (ideally a Ph.D.) in geology, chemistry, marine or environmental sciences, oceanography or related fields. Ideally, the candidate is expected to have experience with operating and maintaining a MC-ICPMS instrument as well as general experience of working in clean lab environments, including column chemistry, acid digestions, isotope dilution, etc.
The work will be developed under the supervision of Dr. Isabel Cacho and Dr. Leopoldo Pena from the GRC Marine Geosciences, Dept. Earth and Ocean Dynamics, Faculty of Earth Sciences (University of Barcelona).
This is a full-time grant paid position. The initial appointment will be 3 years, with the possibility of extension. There will be a six-month probationary period. Review of applications will begin in May 2017, and will continue until the position is filled
Multi Collector Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometer (70% of time)
* Daily operations and analyses, instrument maintenance and optimization of methods for MC-ICPMS
* Method development for different isotopic families such as Nd, Sr and Pb
* Supervision and training of new students, visitors, etc.
* Instrument performance monitoring
* Inventory and preparation of formal reports on a weekly basis.
Geochemistry procedures in a Clean Laboratory (30% time)
* Sample preparation of geological materials, sea waters or other materials
* Column chemistry procedures for elemental separations
* Laboratory maintenance and blank monitoring
* Inventory, purchasing consumables, general laboratory maintenance and monitoring.
The successful applicant will work as a member of a team and support undergraduate and graduate students, post-docs and visiting researchers. The technician will also interact with technical support staff for the MC-ICPMS if necessary.
- Minimum BSc in geology, chemistry, marine or environmental sciences, or related fields.
- Experience with independently operating and maintaining an ICP-MS and/or MC-ICPMS.
- Capable of safety, carefully, efficiently and independently working in clean geochemical laboratories with corrosive chemicals.
- Motivated to multi-task, optimize methodologies, adopt new methodologies, work with others, meet deadlines, help students.
- Interested in collaborating and publishing with our dynamic research group.
- Experience in MC-ICPMS data reduction and correction. Computer skills, including scripting and/or programming will also be considered.
- Payment, according to personal experience, up to the post-doc scale of the University of Barcelona, includes social security and benefits according to the Spanish laws.
Dead line for applications: 5th May 2017
Applicants should send a single pdf file to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> including the required documents for applicants: (1) Cover letter; (2) Updated CV; (3) Contact information of three referees (at least one referee will be from an academic geochemistry supervisor); digital copy of any document or publication providing evidence of their experience in geochemical analysis to support their qualifications. We thank all the applications, however only short-listed candidates will be contacted and selected for an interview.
Leopoldo D. Pena
GRC Geociències Marines
Dept. d'Estratigrafia, Paleontologia i Geociències Marines
Facultat de Geologia, Universitat de Barcelona
C/ Martí Franquès s/n, 08028 Barcelona
Tel: +34934021382 | Fax: +34934021340
Aquest correu electrònic i els annexos poden contenir informació confidencial o protegida legalment i està adreçat exclusivament a la persona o entitat destinatària. Si no sou el destinatari final o la persona encarregada de rebre’l, no esteu autoritzat a llegir-lo, retenir-lo, modificar-lo, distribuir-lo, copiar-lo ni a revelar-ne el contingut. Si heu rebut aquest correu electrònic per error, us preguem que n’informeu al remitent i que elimineu del sistema el missatge i el material annex que pugui contenir. Gràcies per la vostra col·laboració.
Este correo electrónico y sus anexos pueden contener información confidencial o legalmente protegida y está exclusivamente dirigido a la persona o entidad destinataria. Si usted no es el destinatario final o la persona encargada de recibirlo, no está autorizado a leerlo, retenerlo, modificarlo, distribuirlo, copiarlo ni a revelar su contenido. Si ha recibido este mensaje electrónico por error, le rogamos que informe al remitente y elimine del sistema el mensaje y el material anexo que pueda contener. Gracias por su colaboración.
This email message and any documents attached to it may contain confidential or legally protected material and are intended solely for the use of the individual or organization to whom they are addressed. We remind you that if you are not the intended recipient of this email message or the person responsible for processing it, then you are not authorized to read, save, modify, send, copy or disclose any of its contents. If you have received this email message by mistake, we kindly ask you to inform the sender of this and to eliminate both the message and any attachments it carries from your account. Thank you for your collaboration.