PLASMACHEM-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU

PLASMACHEM-L Home

PLASMACHEM-L  June 1998

PLASMACHEM-L June 1998

ICP-ES Technician Needed

Rick Murray <[log in to unmask]>

Analytical Chemistry using ICP's, DCP's, MIP's.

Thu, 4 Jun 1998 10:36:33 -0500

****Please distribute this notice to
any and all colleagues / students who may be interested!****

Hello All:

I am searching for a technician to run my new ICP-ES geochemistry
laboratory.

Courtesy of the US National Science Foundation, I have recently
installed a brand new Jobin-Yvon JY 170C Ultrace combined sequential
and simultaneous ICP-ES, complete with an ultrasonic nebulizer (USN),
hydride generator, autosampler, Nitrogen generator (for the
spectrometer flush), recirculating water system, and other various
attachments.  In short, it is a top-of-the-line instrument and is
really terrific.

I am searching for a person with experience in running ICP-ES
instruments, and who is comfortable with the hands-on aspects of
instrumentation and developmental work.  The machine is largely used
for major and trace element analysis of bulk digestions of marine
sediment, but I need to expand my capabilities to include porewater
analysis, use of the hydride generator for the determination of Hg and
other volatile species, to optimize the utility of the USN, to analyze
organic matrices (e.g., acetic acid sequential extractions), and, in
short, to get the maximum out of the device.

The most important responsibility of the technician will be to operate
and maintain the machine (with simple repairs), including method
development.  The interests described above (e.g., porewaters, Hg) are
not difficult, but diligent effort towards method development for each
of the various protocols is required in order to have such analytical
capacities become 'routine'.  As such, familiarity with the analytical
geochemistry literature and a willingness to extend the machine's
capabilities are encouraged.  While I have much ICP-ES and -MS
experience myself, I do not have a great deal of experience in these
other aspects of ICP-ES (e.g., hydride generation) and need a capable,
independent technician to develop optimal methodologies.

The technician will also be involved with the supervision of
preparation of sediment samples for major and trace element analysis.
The applicant must be experienced in sediment and rock digestions--most
of my work involves HF-HNO3-HCl-HClO4 microwave-hotplate digestions,
but experience with flux-fusion digestions would also be good to have.
Work-study undergraduate students will always be available to assist in
the more tedious aspects of sample preparation (weighing, dilutions,
etc.) but the technician will at times be involved in those aspects as
well, although not significantly so.

The background of the applicant can be either in analytical chemistry
or geosciences with a strong analytical orientation.  I am not
specifying the type of degree the technician should have--with the
proper experience a BA/BS level person could certainly handle the
responsibility, as could a MA/MS person, or Ph.D.  In other words, all
applicants are welcome.  My laboratory also includes a PE graphite
furnace AA; experience in operating this device would be helpful but is
not required...the ICP-ES will be the main instrument of effort for the
technician.  Knowledge of basic electronics is encouraged, but again
not required.  Proficiency in PC (including Windows) and Macintosh
systems as well as with standard data handling software (Excel,
graphing programs) is necessary.

Interested persons should contact me directly (information given below;
email or phone is the best way to start the process off).  A start date
is flexible, but I am interested in filling the position sooner rather
than later--the machine is hungry to be used and taken advantage of to
its maximum capability.  Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Boston is a great place to live and work, and Boston University is a
great place to be (good benefits, tuition remission programs for
coursework, etc., and I am extremely flexible in personal scheduling)!

Looking forward to hearing from you...

Rick Murray

----------------------------

Rick Murray