PLASMACHEM-L Archives

PLASMACHEM-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU

PLASMACHEM-L Home

PLASMACHEM-L  June 1998

PLASMACHEM-L June 1998

Re: ICP-ES Technician Needed

Timothy Shawn Conver <[log in to unmask]>

Analytical Chemistry using ICP's, DCP's, MIP's.

Thu, 4 Jun 1998 23:14:23 -0400

Dear Rick,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>I am interested in more info.&nbsp; I recieved a PHD >from John
Koropchak's research group last year, my dissertation was entitled, &quot;High
and Ultrahigh Performance Elemental Analysis by Inductively Coupled
Plasma-Atomic Emission Spectrometry.&quot;&nbsp; I have experience with Varian,
Leeman and PE ICP-AES instruments and with the Elan and Varian ICP-MS
instruments.&nbsp; I have used thermospray, electrothermal vaporization, and
ultrasonic nebulization techniques on these various instruments.&nbsp; I am
currently working for the DEA performing routine drug analysis and might be
interested in a position such as your depending on benefits and the ability to
explore my own research ideas as time permits.&nbsp; Please let me know of the
specifics.&nbsp; If you need to contact me I am at:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Timothy Shawn Conver</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>117 Alpine St</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Manassas Park, Va 20111</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>703/331-1331 Home</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>703/285-1193 Work</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>Thank you very much :-)&nbsp; Shawn
Conver</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE
style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">
    <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><B>-----Original Message-----</B><BR><B>From:
    </B>Rick Murray &lt;<A
    href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A>&gt;<BR><B>To: </B><A
    href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A>
    &lt;<A
    href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A>&gt;<BR><B>Date:
    </B>Thursday, June 04, 1998 10:34 AM<BR><B>Subject: </B>ICP-ES Technician
    Needed<BR><BR></DIV></FONT>****Please distribute this notice to any and all
    colleagues / students who may be interested!****<BR><BR>Hello All:<BR><BR>I
    am searching for a technician to run my new ICP-ES geochemistry
    laboratory.<BR><BR>Courtesy of the US National Science Foundation, I have
    recently installed a brand new Jobin-Yvon JY 170C Ultrace combined
    sequential and simultaneous ICP-ES, complete with an ultrasonic nebulizer
    (USN), hydride generator, autosampler, Nitrogen generator (for the
    spectrometer flush), recirculating water system, and other various
    attachments. In short, it is a top-of-the-line instrument and is really
    terrific.<BR><BR>I am searching for a person with experience in running
    ICP-ES instruments, and who is comfortable with the hands-on aspects of
    instrumentation and developmental work. The machine is largely used for
    major and trace element analysis of bulk digestions of marine sediment, but
    I need to expand my capabilities to include porewater analysis, use of the
    hydride generator for the determination of Hg and other volatile species, to
    optimize the utility of the USN, to analyze organic matrices (e.g., acetic
    acid sequential extractions), and, in short, to get the maximum out of the
    device.<BR><BR>The most important responsibility of the technician will be
    to operate and maintain the machine (with simple repairs), including method
    development. The interests described above (e.g., porewaters, Hg) are not
    difficult, but diligent effort towards method development for each of the
    various protocols is required in order to have such analytical capacities
    become 'routine'. As such, familiarity with the analytical geochemistry
    literature and a willingness to extend the machine's capabilities are
    encouraged. While I have much ICP-ES and -MS experience myself, I do not
    have a great deal of experience in these other aspects of ICP-ES (e.g.,
    hydride generation) and need a capable, independent technician to develop
    optimal methodologies.<BR><BR>The technician will also be involved with the
    supervision of preparation of sediment samples for major and trace element
    analysis. The applicant must be experienced in sediment and rock
    digestions--most of my work involves HF-HNO3-HCl-HClO4 microwave-hotplate
    digestions, but experience with flux-fusion digestions would also be good to
    have. Work-study undergraduate students will always be available to assist
    in the more tedious aspects of sample preparation (weighing, dilutions,
    etc.) but the technician will at times be involved in those aspects as well,
    although not significantly so.<BR><BR>The background of the applicant can be
    either in analytical chemistry or geosciences with a strong analytical
    orientation. I am not specifying the type of degree the technician should
    have--with the proper experience a BA/BS level person could certainly handle
    the responsibility, as could a MA/MS person, or Ph.D. In other words, all
    applicants are welcome. My laboratory also includes a PE graphite furnace
    AA; experience in operating this device would be helpful but is not
    required...the ICP-ES will be the main instrument of effort for the
    technician. Knowledge of basic electronics is encouraged, but again not
    required. Proficiency in PC (including Windows) and Macintosh systems as
    well as with standard data handling software (Excel, graphing programs) is
    necessary.<BR><BR>Interested persons should contact me directly (information
    given below; email or phone is the best way to start the process off). A
    start date is flexible, but I am interested in filling the position sooner
    rather than later--the machine is hungry to be used and taken advantage of
    to its maximum capability. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
    Boston is a great place to live and work, and Boston University is a great
    place to be (good benefits, tuition remission programs for coursework, etc.,
    and I am extremely flexible in personal scheduling)!<BR><BR>Looking forward
    to hearing from you...<BR><BR>Rick
    Murray<BR><BR><?/fontfamily>----------------------------<BR>Rick
    Murray<BR>Dept. of Earth Sciences<BR>685 Commonwealth Avenue<BR>Boston
    University<BR>Boston MA 02215<BR>USA<BR><BR>ph. 617-353-6532<BR>fax.
    617-353-3290<BR>email. [log in to unmask]<BR>WWW.
web.bu.edu/ES</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>