From: Richard Stallman <[log in to unmask]>
To: rusdiah <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wed, November 18, 2009 7:10:54 PM
Subject: Re: [Wsis-pct] Obama calls for free Internet in China... is Internet really free afterall ? : For Information: IGF 2009 event rattled by UN Security Office

    Internet is not as free after all, every country in the world has
    censorship policy and wiretapping policy  of its own...

Not all countries block access to particular Internet sites.  (The US
does not.)  It is true that many countries have such policies or are
trying to establish them.  This is an injustice no matter where it is
done, and no matter what the excuse.

Obama does not favor an "open internet".  Outside of countries such as
China, the nastiest form of restriction of the internet is the War on
Sharing, which Obama supports.  So he is being hypocritical here.

How should we respond to his hypocrisy?  Should we reject criticism of
China, just because someone who also does wrong joins in the
criticism?  Certainly not!  What we should do is criticize the US
_also_.

Evil of one kind in country A does not excuse evil of another kind in
country B.

    How about also free software movement... freeing people from monopoly
    licensing of proprietary (IPR)

I agree with the sentiment, but it is not good to use the term "IPR".
It doesn't refer to anythin coherent.  What it SEEMS to mean is a
false picture of actual laws, and a false idea of their motives.

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/not-ipr.html.