I was reading the gTLD Applicant Guidebook,
http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/rfp-clean-19sep11-en.pdf,
for new gTLDs.  Part of the process is a technical review of the
applicant's capability to operate a Shared Registry System (SRS) and
Extensible Provisioning Protocol (EPP) system for communicating with
registrars.

  To my mind, the SRS and EPP are necessary for non-company related gTLDs.
If I were to operate .MyOwnCoolTLD, I would of course want all the
registrars to be able to register in it. I should have a registry
running SRS and using EPP.

  But how about for a private company? I'd imagine that Pepsi, the
beverage company selling carbonated sweetened water, would apply for
.pepsi and use it internally. If they are required to have a SRS and EPP
systems, is ICANN saying that the general public has the right to
register under those "company" domains, say horacio.pepsi, through the
existing registrars like godaddy?