Hi

On Jan 17, 2012, at 11:25 PM, Avri Doria wrote:

Hi Bill,

Thanks for asking.

I recommend a vote against for several reasons

- Proposed in the GNSO without consultation with others.   Certainly does not show a willingness to work with others in an open environment - only willing when it is in an environment that it controls with a veto.  That isn't cooperation.  The GNSO really needs to learn how to work nicely with others.  If anything, having come up with a draft, they should be vetting it with their possible partners.

Well, to be fair, it's intended as an opening position, i.e. nailing down GNSO's stance going into the working with others in an open environment phase. The motion anticipates the subsequent negotiation of a "related set of principles" for community-wide adoption.  But I think it'd be better if the views from outside GNSO were taken on board at the front end rather than only post hoc in negotiation, hence my message to ALAC.

- Misunderstands  GNSO's own WG methodology.  All WGs are already open to all community members already.  The only difference about a CCWG is that  it has more than 1 chartering organization.  Each chartering organization should be able to get what it wants out of the joint work.  The ALAC may want to give advice, the GAC may want to give by-laws qualified advice, the GNSO may want to propose policy and the ccNSO may just want to share information.  What is the problem with this?

Nothing, methinks.

- The GNSO's. or anyone else's, position on the outcomes from a CCWG should not be limited by any other SO or AC.    Yes, if several groups can come to a general SOAC consensus, that is wonderful and should be a goal whenever possible.  But it must not be a requirement.

- Each group should be able to do what it wants with the results of a CWG.  The Board is clever enough to be able to weigh the information it gets and know what it means.

- Nothing that calls itself cross-community should be structured in a way that allows any one of the sub-groups a veto.  In my view makes cooperation impossible.

This reads like a practice for subordinating any group that the GNSO decides to interact with.  And that, to me, seems inappropriate behavior by one stakeholder in a multi-stakeholder organization.

Again, I don't read the intentions of the drafters or others quite so darkly, but no matter.

As to how to vote: I'm not yet convinced that simply saying no would be our best move.  While I've not polled, I assume the other SGs will support the motion, so even if we got to 7 and prevailed it'd be us vs. the rest, and we just had a similarly divided vote on outreach.  And in that case we complained about CSG doing 11th hour reversals, particularly when they were on the WG that did the OTF, and here we'd be nixing something others may assume to be uncontroversial when we were represented on the DT and haven't expressed concern about the issue in months.  Moreover, aesthetics and karma aside, per above the principles wouldn't be the last word on the matter; ALAC and other SO/ACs could disagree when it comes time to negotiate community-wide principles, if any.

I guess the options are

1.  Accept as is and let the inter-SO/AC process work it out later
2.  Propose an amendment softening the single charter requirement, and then yes or no when it fails, as would seem likely
3.  No as is and annoy people FWIW

Would be good to hear more views

This is also being discussed on the ALAC lists if anyone cares to follow.  Below's a post I sent this morning.

Bill

—————