Thanks, Horacio and Milton.

On 7/12/2012 9:47 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:
> [...]
...And how many of these people can afford to bet $185,000? And folks
here are fretting about why the program didn't attract scads of
developing countries applicants! What a fantasy world they must live in!
I know that you, Horacio, have been in the ICANN environment almost from
its inception and even you didn't apply. One can only imagine how
unrealistic it is to expect complete novices from developing countries
to apply.
*
The idea shows how disconnected from economic and operational reality
some of our "policymakers" are. *

Bottom line: I know this is the noncommercial constituency but
noncommercial organizations are not exempt from some basic
business-oriented realities, such as: - if you tell the world for 3-4
years that the unrefundable application fee is $185,000 and then, a few
months before, say, "well, maybe not..." don't expect a lot of
applications - political uncertainty raises costs to killer levels - the
more regulations and policies you impose on operations the more
expensive you make it and thus the more you limit access...

--
Norbert Klein
Phnom Penh/Cambodia