Joy,
Tx for the incredible job on these comments. I think they read well, and contain information everyone in ICANN should read. In additional to submitting this as a comment, may I suggest that our NCSG chair send a personal copy of the full comments to Heather Dryden, Chair of the GAC from Canada, Suzanne Radell, US GAC Representative, and Mark Carvell, UK GAC (and any other GAC members people recommend)? These three are leaders of the GAC and its agenda, and very influential in the positions and directions it takes.  A copy directly to them will likely be read closely.

Here are a few edits I would recommend to underscore the very timely value of the new UN Human Rights resolution (which I have been working on for another matter...). Proposed inserts in brackets []:

'ICANN must take notice of the United Nations Human Rights Council resolution on human rights and the internet:
http://www.regeringen.se/content/1/c6/19/64/51/6999c512.pdf  By this resolution, [passed only a few weeks ago, on June 29, 2012, 85]UN Member States, [from all regions of the world] including [many][delete: some of the] governments in GAC, have affirmed by consensus that  “the same human rights people have offline must also be protected online”. #GAC is not a human rights body and should not give ICANN advice which contradicts this UN Human Rights Council position. Nor should individual GAC members given advice to ICANN which contradicts their stated positions in the UNHRC on internet related human rights issues. GAC advice which does either of these must not be taken into account by ICANN.

Joy, tx again for awesome job and a great comment contribution,
Kath (Kleiman):
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

Hi - thanks Avri and Milton and others who have commented.
On the principles: great to get more discussion on them - thanks!
On the reference to guardianship,  Like Avri, i feel strongly that
there is a core principle there which is fundamental - and i also like
the suggestion of a reference to stewardship: that's helpful - thanks
Milton and I'd be comfortable with that.
As for the last point - the purpose was just to emphasise that, if in
doubt, we put particular emphasis on that higher aspirational
standard. it wasn't intended to override human rights. I am happy if
the prevailing principle should be human rights rather than stewardship.
Thanks again.
I will tidy up and post one for (hopefully) one last time.
Joy