On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 1:14 AM, Alex Gakuru <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 1:52 AM, McTim <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 5:53 PM, Alex Gakuru <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 12:44 AM, McTim <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 5:06 AM, Alex Gakuru <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Great development, for the technical side of the Internet. Unfortunately AFRINIC, historically most shy to Human Rights,

How is the most inclusive bottom-up open and transparent IG mechanism we have in Africa "most shy" to HR??

Who are their HR people?

You and me and everyone else interested in making policy.  WE make policy, the NIC just does what we tell them in terms of policy.

Mailing lists can/are open but effective policy influence is achieved with representation on the policy making table. Their 6-person

13 person IIRC. the folk who hold the Alternate seats are full Board members.

BOD structure http://www.afrinic.net/en/our-structure/bod  of Eastern Africa(1), Indian Ocean(1), Northern Africa(1), Western Africa(1), Central Africa(1), Southern Africa(1) are business, ccTLDs and government persons. It does not provide for civil society representatives.

Nor does it provide for business, gov or ccTLDs persons.   Representation is regional, NOT by stakeholder group.

Or would I be missing one (including on the listed past) BOD members?

There are 2 academics elected as alternates.   together, all of these folk ARE acting as CS IMHO.

The internet was once controlled by engineers before lawyers snatched it from them. Assertive global civil society raised its and had to be accommodated.

how so?

Now Africa's Civil Society has risen up and is demanding a say on how Africa (and global) Internet is managed, for example, http://netizenproject.org/2012/08/05/pan-african-civil-society-on-who-controls-the-internet/

We already have a say.  Look at the last several AfriNIC meeting lists, you will see LOTS of CS participants!!

--
Cheers,

McTim
"A name indicates what we seek. An address indicates where it is. A route indicates how we get there."  Jon Postel