Begin forwarded message:

From: David Olive <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [Soac-infoalert] Fwd: ICANN Approves New Registrar Accreditation Agreement
Date: June 28, 2013 5:53:11 AM PDT
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>

ICANN Approves New Registrar Accreditation Agreement

June 28, 2013

For Immediate Release

New Registrar Accreditation Agreement Approved By ICANN Board

Agreement Clarifies Protections for Domain Site Registrants

Los Angeles, California…  The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) Board of Directors today approved a new Registrar Accreditation Agreement (RAA) that is expected to bring continued improvements to the domain name ecosystem.

The agreement follows more than a year of negotiations between ICANN and its Registrar Stakeholders Group and represents marked improvements over the last RAA approved in 2009.

“In no small way this agreement is transformational for the domain name industry,” said Akram Atallah, President of ICANN’s Generic Domains Division. “Our multiple stakeholders weighed in, from law enforcement, to business, to consumers and what we have ended up with is something that affords better protections and positively redefines the domain name industry.”

Among the achievements in the RAA:

  • Establishment of a registrar point-of-contact for reporting abuse.

  • Verification and validation of WHOIS (domain registrant) data.

  • Clear establishment of registrar responsibility for reseller compliance.

  • Enhanced compliance tools that include broader suspension and termination tools, clarification of audit rights, access to information to facilitate ongoing investigations and annual certification requirements.

"On behalf of the Registrar Stakeholder Group and all ICANN accredited registrars, I am pleased the ICANN Board approved the 2013 Registrar Accreditation Agreement, after all of the hard work put in by all parties,” said Matt Serlin, VP, Domain Management, MarkMonitor, Inc. “We will now work on implementation of the numerous new requirements in the 2013 RAA and we hope to continue the interaction with ICANN staff and the broader community in the future, as registrars roll out these changes."

###

To read the 2013 Registrar Accreditation Agreement, go here: http://www.icann.org/en/resources/registrars/raa/approved-with-specs-27jun13-en.pdf.

To watch a video of ICANN President Akram Atallah’s comments about the 2013 RAA, go here: http://www.icann.org/en/news/press/kits/video-atallah-raa-28jun13-en.htm.

MEDIA CONTACTS:               Brad White

ICANN Director of Global Media Affairs

Washington, D.C.

                                                Tel. +1 202.570.7118

Andrew Robertson

Edelman Public Relations

London, U.K.

Tel. + 44 (7811) 341 945

James Cole

ICANN Global Media Coordinator

Washington, D.C.

Tel. +1 202.570.7240

About ICANN: ICANN’s mission is to ensure a stable, secure and unified global Internet. To reach another person on the Internet you have to type an address into your computer - a name or a number. That address has to be unique so computers know where to find each other. ICANN coordinates these unique identifiers across the world. Without that coordination we wouldn't have one global Internet. ICANN was formed in 1998. It is a not-for-profit public-benefit corporation with participants from all over the world dedicated to keeping the Internet secure, stable and interoperable. It promotes competition and develops policy on the Internet’s unique identifiers. ICANN doesn’t control content on the Internet. It cannot stop spam and it doesn’t deal with access to the Internet. But through its coordination role of the Internet’s naming system, it does have an important impact on the expansion and evolution of the Internet. For more information please visit: www.icann.org.