I think that the charter needs a philosophical preamble that states the purpose of ICANN and the role that the Internet plays in sustaining humanity and the advancement of humanity.  That would form a foundation for which these issues should be tested.

I am computer programmer also and I tend to look at things like charters and policy and rules as if it were software. Software has a hierarchical structure just like law does, which I also see as software. The structure has layers and I'm thinking that if we focus some effort on the root layer that we can then be more successful down the tree getting the issues that Robin raised.

To give you an example of what I mean, here is the preamble to the US Constitution:

"We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

This is what I would call the root layer. It states the purpose of the Constitution. It is a philosophical layer that says who we are, what we are doing, and why we are doing it. The rest of the Constitution is what I would cal the system layer that establishes the skeletal structure of the government. It creates 3 branches, it creates a balance of power, defines the relationship between the government and the people.

My point - what Robin proposes focuses on the application layers when we should also focusing on the root and system layers.

ICANN needs a preamble.