Hello,

The EU´s GAC  rep stated to the ICANN Board that Article 29 WP is only a
independent advisory body ! Referring to the letter, he said "this is not a
EU position as such but the position of an Advisory Committee"...true  but
still, considering that this particular advisory body gathers
representatives of the European Commission, of the EU Data Protection
Supervisor, and of all national Data Protection Authorities in Europe, they
represent the authoritative expert voices of the EU on the
subject....surely their statement should have some value and should weight
in the debate....

In addition to the letter of Article 29 WP,  the independent Advocate
General of the European Court of Justice recently (25 June 2013) issued a
legal opinion (not binding on the EU Court of Justice) that the EU Data
Protection Directive applies to search engines that contain data of EU
citizens* even if the servers are located physically outside the EU. *

If we read this opinion bearing in mind the latest letter from Article 29
Working Party to ICANN CEO, it looks like at some point we might  end up
with a system where there will be a two- tier RAA when it comes to
registrars' contractual  obligations related to data retention of
individual registrants.

Best,

Marie-laure